1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Star-Ledger Sports Section

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Minnesota4Ever, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Guys, before you get vexed by Minnesota's rants, take a look at this thread:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/37659/

That may help you put things in their proper context.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I think he left all the papers south of I-78 and/or west of the Parkway unscathed :)

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

OK, that helps. He rides the little bus.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm not sure there's a bus short enough for BrandonWalsh.

I think Tom Petty is right: Someone is playing a joke. Please, tell me someone is playing a joke.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Saw the link. I'm now convinced this isn't a joke.

Well, Walsh is a joke. But he's serious.

6. senior_editor

senior_editor Member

For all of the critical remarks about the section, there is an amazing package about the 20th anniversary of the college three pointer today.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/117177717497300.xml&coll=1

It was a good job by the writer, but why do I care? The three-pointer had already been in the pros for a long time, it's not like college basketball was making a groundbreaking innovation and risked screwing up the game. It was a tried-and-true rule, so I do not see this anniversary as anything special.

8. Frank is right. So what. I didn't make it past the first page. It's a soft story with an artificial peg. Anniversary stories had better be about notable anniversaries. This is a Sunday reader? Please.

9. senior_editor

senior_editor Member

I'm an old-timer, but there were plenty of interesting things I never knew. I don't think many people knew about the 108 three point attempts in one game or that experiment in the '40s. The Bob Knight irony was fascinating. Most coaches didn't want the line, so I disagree that it wasn't a big deal just because the pros had it.

I enjoyed the package.

10. The layout was even nicer. Yeah it was a good read. I enjoyed reading it. There were some pros and cons about the three-point shots in the college game today.

With that said, I was more intrigued about Politi's tribute to Jerry Izenberg, who has retired. I did not know Izenberg made a difference with some young kids at Newark. That was a very great gesture that he was able to contribute to someone's life back then.

Draft saved Draft deleted