1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Star-Ledger Sports Section

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Minnesota4Ever, Feb 16, 2007.

1. I live in Bergen County. I don't know what to make of the Gannett papers, but I will say this. I wish I can read that paper at times.

You think Klapisch is good? Can I have what you are smoking or something? All this guy does is bash the Twins, which is the team I root for in baseball, and never even give them an ounce of credit for anything. Forgive me if I feel that way. All he does is talk about the Yankees and Mets and that's it. Half the time, Klapisch just talks about how great the Yankees are and etc. It gets old after awhile. Most of the Mets fans that I know don't even like the guy. Bobby Bo should have really taken him to the Bronx when he had that chance. Klapisch is a national baseball columnist. He is supposed to cover other teams as part of his assignment not kiss the Yankees fanny or kiss the butt of Billy Beane. Please don't give me this nonsense that no one in Jersey gives a crap about the Twins. So what? His job is supposed to cover and give insights of all the teams in Major League Baseball like Star-Ledger's Dan Graziano especially with the Twins contending for a championship. How are fans in this state supposed to know anything about the other teams if Klapisch is not doing his job? Graziano has him beat when it comes to covering baseball. If you don't think so, then you are delusional. Graziano gets points for pimping the Twins up and saying nice things.

Adrian is a great writer, but I did not like how he threw Byron Scott and Louis Orr under the bus. He just ripped them as people once they were fired. I have no idea why he constantly attacks John Calipari in his columns never mind the guy has not been in this state for years. He still makes fun of Calipari. That shows lack of class IMO. I don't get it either. I thought Cal did a good job with the Nets. It ain't his fault that Kendall Gill and that criminal, Jayson Williams stabbed him in the back. Woj just started to act like Jay Mariotti in the last year or so. Also, most of the people that I know at the Record did not care for him in the end. Guys like J.P. Pelzman and Greg Mattura. They even told me that he was not that popular here.

As for Ian, I did not like him in the Daily News and he has showed me nothing so far. His bright moment so far has been ripping Ratner for moving the Nets. That's basically it.

The good writers at the Record are Steve Adamek (I thought he should have been the lead columnist for the Record not Ian) and Greg Mattura (who deserves a better role than covering the FDU Knights) and that's it. The rest blow especially Al Inazzone, who don't have the guts to call the Nets out.

You get a kick out of a reader having an opinion? Guess what? That's what this board is all about, right. This is why I wanted to post here along with getting tips of how to be a good writer. I am a huge fan of reading papers and I demand excellent coverage if I am going to spend my dime on the paper. I also read many writers in America just to see who are interesting or not. I am a critic. I expect someone to do a good job.

2. Dissapointed only because I used to like reading the paper for years. They do such a good job covering all sports even in the winter. Tell me something. The Devils are the best team in hockey and with the best goaltender in hockey. How come the paper does not put much coverage or promote this team? I understand no one in the state really cares, but the Devils play here and the paper need to do its job to promote them so causal fans can get into them. How are people going to to go the games if the Ledger does not cover them? I know Rich Chere does a good job, but the paper needs to cover this team like a blanket like they do with the Yankees, Mets, Giants, and the Jets. I am a huge sports fan and I love to get the best sports fix to start my morning. This paper does such a good job covering every team in sports and I just love the layout of the paper for years. Now, the articles are short. There is no design cover for the feature story too. It's a sad commentary when high school sports get more coverage than the Nets and Devils. No offense to the high school athletes, but if I want to read about them, I will read the town paper.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

well dude, i know how you "love to read the layout design." you are a voice of authority.

keep it real.

and, btw, the ledger always has covered preps, hard.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what do you mean jersey guy? ike always agrees with 4ever.

4ever is a fucking ruse. someone is toying with us.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well that about sums up what makes a good baseball columnist...keeping the Twins fans in NJ (all 2 of you) happy.

6. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

With all due respect, how do you know what most subscribers thought of Woj?

7. Aw, shit. I thought the original poster meant this to be a discussion of the Star-Ledger sports section, not a one-person diatribe about what he doesn't like about two North Jersey sports sections. My apologies for getting involved.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

the person who posted this thread has exposed himself/herself for being nothing but a total fanboy geek. go away, kid. :eek:

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I know someone who works in the department (at least I think he still does). Hey, Commish, are you ever going to return to the BCRL (now GMBR)? We could use your deft, conniving mind.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The Twin Cities sports sections are pretty good. However, it is a different game when there are twice as many teams to cover -- you can make the section only so large, and there is a finite cover with more choices to put on it. He doesn't seem to be in the business and probably doesn't understand.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Does this mean the fanboys don't want to know how the hot dogs are made? ;)

12. I agree. I enjoy reading the Strib and the Pioneer Press.

The Twins coverage at the Strib was awesome especially during their pennant run in the summer. I enjoyed the Strib honoring Morneau for his MVP award and I enjoyed the beautiful design when the Twins were honored as organization of the year on Christmas Day.

Draft saved Draft deleted