1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Stanford swimmer, the rape, and the letter the victim read in court

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jun 3, 2016.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I personally know five women who have reported rapes. I know at least three others who were nearly raped but saved by friends. Countless others have been groped, which is, of course, sexual assault. I’m sure there are others who haven’t told me about incidents.

1 in 5 almost seems low.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Some rapists grow up,to be Supreme Court Justices and Preside to of the USA

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Until we the people wake up and realize that just because someone can do something with a ball (that is special) doesn’t mean that the rules and laws do not apply, then this type of crap will continue. Damn, athletes can be great AND great persons; let’s demand that and settle for nothing less.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I have personally driven two women to the ER after they were raped. One was an across the hall apartment neighbor, and the other a total stranger who knocked on the door after she'd been dumped in the parking lot.

Not a fun evening.

Men can be total shit.

5. What happened to the neighbor, was he charged?

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Not a fan of either guy, but hey, there's that pesky little due process thing. Still have to prove it in a court of law to be convicted.

7. heyabbott

You’re living in a dream world. When the white rich and powerful own the courts of law a conviction becomes an unattainable standard.
    Brett’s mother was a prosecutor in the office which had jurisdiction over brett and his friend’s Rapes. And she later became a judge there.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Whether they are convict or not, we the people can still deem them rapists on our own.

heyabbott likes this.
  9. heyabbott

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Read the story - the Stanford swimmer wasn't a one-off. Seemed to have a soft-spot for jocks.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I thought what Persky did was abhorrent and absolutely the wrong message but in reading the article, it says the Change.org petition says he did this "several times" but there are no specifics so not sure if that's (that he gave lenient sentences multiple times) true or not.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

These hiring people never heard of Google?

Draft saved Draft deleted