1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Stanford swimmer, the rape, and the letter the victim read in court

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jun 3, 2016.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He’s in Ohio, that’s prison of a sort.

RecoveringDesker likes this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Jeez according to CDC women have a 20% chance of being raped during their lifetime. We, society, are collectively terrible at protecting those that deserve it the most.

Tweener, Iron_chet and Inky_Wretch like this.
  4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

First reaction is the stat has to be too high until I take a step back and really think about it and it's scary. I have a high school friend who (I can't remember if it was the result of this case or the Me Too movement) told a heart-wrenching story of how she was raped while drunk. That more than anything opened my eyes to how prevalent it is. And among the 1 in 5 women who are raped, shockingly few report it because they are scared or think they won't be believed. Humanity really sucks.

I hope this woman's memoir encourages others to come forward and get justice.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

What's the most ridiculous thing to me about this case is that everyone knows the name of Brock Turner, and yet how many people can name the dipshit judge who gave him such a light sentence, thus making Brock Turner a relatively well-known name? That clown deserves almost equal ignominy.

Tweener likes this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Fixed that for ya.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Well what’s disappointing is are the women who criticize those who come forward making it even worse and emboldening the rapists.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Watched a documentary (Roll Red Roll) on the Stuebenville, Ohio, high school football players who raped a passed-out girl in 2012.

Tons of evidence against them. Video. Photos. It was tried in juvenile court and the two players got about a year each.

And both went on to play football and small colleges.

It’s pathetic what many get away with. Little or no consequences.

I remembered some of the story because it ended up being national news. But seeing the documentary just pissed me off.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

He got recalled, and deservedly so. Would you like the tie behind a car and drag down him the street also?

Fred siegle likes this.
  10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I don't know about the judge, but I'd be down with that happening to Turner. Fuck that dude.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Will I only got six months in jail?

Fred siegle likes this.
  12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Oh believe me, men absolutely suck. But there are those women who for whatever reason also pile on. There is a whole long tangent I kind of want to go on but will resist to avoid getting too political. To sum up, humanity—by and large—sucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted