1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Stanford swimmer, the rape, and the letter the victim read in court

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jun 3, 2016.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The problem with the peanut gallery is that it just doesn't know its place.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The judge's sentence is inexplicable, in a generic justice view. Guy blatantly raped the girl then gets a lighter sentence than someone who steals a pack of gum. That's awful. Really have a hard time fathoming why the judge did this except that he was either (1) on the take (unlikely) or (2) socially blind to what his decision would mean to the larger public.

What's troubling to me is the recall, a politicization of a judge's decision. If it was only this case, I'm okay with that, but I'm worried about other potential recall elections. However, judges are already subject to public election after 6 years in California, including our Supreme Court justices, so this is merely an acceleration of the opportunity to replace him in an election.

Slacker and franticscribe like this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know what happened behind the scenes, if anyone who knew the judge intervened on the kid's behalf, etc. But the judge went to Stanford, so I guessed at the time that there was an old boys club at work privately, and the judge misguidedly thinking, "All these people in my circle vouching for him, he's a good kid who made a mistake, let's not try to totally ruin his life" thing.

If (and I realize it is an if ) that is the case, he's unfit to be a criminal court judge. There is the miscarriage of justice and him making a sham of a sexual assault conviction, but also he didn't even have the awareness to realize what the reaction was going to be to a sentence that lenient in a case getting a decent amount of attention.

I agree with you that he shouldn't be recalled, because it does politicize the judicial system. And it's a slippery slope from this (where we all can agree) to judges having to worry about their seats in the face of an impassioned mob. But still.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think we can all agree this deal where posters are simply erased from existence and we’re not allowed talk about what happened to them is bogus. Even the wizards who got sent to Azkaban, I’m pretty sure their families got a letter from the ministry explaining where they went.

5. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

So it's official policy we're not allowed to talk about it? At least Boom merited a board-wide PM.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

He will reappear in the series finale where it’s revealed we’re all just a dream inside Head of Khartoum.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

LaRussa?

Fly likes this.
  8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Shithead kid, shithead parents, shithead judge.

First recall in the United States in 40 years.

I am willing to accept the consequences of the recall.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

FTFY just for clarity. Those of us in Cali still have nightmares of Pete Wilson.

Vombatus likes this.
  10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Pito Wilson - El rey de racistas
    Pito Wilson - Sera presidente
    Pito Wilson - Te quiere ver muerto
    Pito Wilson - El cristo de ódio

Spartan Squad likes this.
  11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

What the hell are you doing in Colombia?

Spartan Squad likes this.
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Well the voters have spoken:

Judge Aaron Persky, who ruled in sex assault case, recalled in Santa Clara County

Sorry Judge Persky but your decision was so far in left field you left the general public and voters only one conclusion; that the privileged will get special favors/treatment in your courtroom, even if its a blatant rape not based solely on the victim's account but corroborated by two eyewitnesses and saviors who discovered and observed the act.

Draft saved Draft deleted