1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Stanford swimmer, the rape, and the letter the victim read in court

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jun 3, 2016.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The father does not view her as a victim at all, which is why he hopes his son can "educate college age students about the dangers of alcohol consumption and sexual promiscuity," not the dangers of sexual assault. I mean, my god, this is so far beyond having a tin ear. He completely believes his son was just getting some "action," not raping an unconscious girl.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

None of us knows what the dad believes or doesn't believe. He's the kid's dad. That paints everything. He might think his son did something shitty and totally get it. ... but be in the mode of trying to prevent it from totally destroying his son's future.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So after the six months in jail - he can no longer go around colleges and talk about this stuff? Or just won't?

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

By suggesting that the victim is promiscuous? If that's what he's doing, he's not much better than his rapist son.

Maybe we don't know what he believes - to the extent that we can never be inside someone else's head - but we know what he says. And what he says is that college kids need to be educated about the dangers of alcohol and sexual promiscuity, and his son is just the man to do it. He was curiously silent about the dangers of sexual assault.

Oh, and BTW, I think we can agree that sexually assaulting an unconscious woman is far worse than doing "something shitty," right?

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A defense attorney acting poorly =/= all defense attorneys are scum.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't get this sentence at all.
    Rape is notoriously difficult to prosecute in court because it often boils down to he said-she said. Here, though, they caught the guy in the act, with two eyewitnesses, got convictions on three felony charges in a jury trial, it seems like an open and shut case that any first-year prosecutor could get a conviction on, and he only gets six months in county jail!?
    How is that even possible? Aren't there sentencing guidelines? Mandatory minimums? Can the prosecution appeal to a higher court for a sentencing review?
    Six months. Six fucking months. Some states give you more than that for shoplifting.

SFIND, I Should Coco and Vombatus like this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was talking to a young female acquaintance yesterday and she made a comment that she was sexually assaulted last year and it's taken her some time to get over it. It really bugged me a) for obvious reasons, I wish I could have gone and kicked the guys ass and b) how much it took away from her life and what she wanted to do. I'm amazed by her strength and really felt gratitude for her sharing it with me.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Emphasis on the allegedly. He spent 3 years locked up, some of it in solitary confinement, for something he never even went to trial for -- and which was eventually dismissed. His crime was insisting that he was innocent and refusing to plea it out. He may or may not have been guilty, but yeah, that is the perfect case to juxtipose to this rape case if you want to demonstrate how fucked up our criminal justice system is.

Lugnuts, Tweener and Dick Whitman like this.
  10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Case in Va. recently where a guy was arrested for stealing candy, spent six months in the county jail and essentially starved to death while there.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There's this one story trending on Facebook this week where a guy spent six months in jail before his trial when he supposedly only needed $2 to bail himself out. Supposedly, he didn't know that was his bail.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That was Quant. His parents finally raised the cash.

Draft saved Draft deleted