1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Stanford swimmer, the rape, and the letter the victim read in court

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jun 3, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The judge is the one who messed up. I wonder how many 19-year-old black and Latin kids he has sent away for less violent crimes.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm working on a brief as a sit here to try to get my client out of a life sentence and I'm fucking proud to do it.

Y'all can go pound sand.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Ergo my point, Donnie. Defense attorneys zealously defend the worst cretins we have. They justify it in any number of ways, wrap themselves around the constitution etc. (insert wanking motion here), and they all sleep like babies at night. I'm sure the Stanford swimmer defense team opened a nice, expensive bottle of merlot that night, and toasted each other on how they kept the rapist out of jail.

OscarMadison, Tweener and cjericho like this.
  5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

In most cases it's possible to be a zealous advocate without being an asshole. I've seen very skilled defense attorneys handle cross examination of a victim in a compassionate way that accomplishes what they need without leaving the victim feeling re-traumatized. But they're in the minority.

It's easy to justify horrific personal behavior when you wrap yourself in that zealous advocate cape.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Put in there that the victim was drunk.

7. Dick Whitman

But enough about prosecutors.

8. Dick Whitman

Someone should have burned down that frat house at UVa.

9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I'm the first to admit that it cuts both ways, DW. It's not justified on either side of the bar.

10. Dick Whitman

As you may recall, I don't find it a great system for reaching just verdicts. Not sure what precisely I'd replace it with.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That was a really interesting letter. Really interesting. There's a lot to chew on in that letter. Although it clearly comes from an emotional, authentic place, and you have to respect those emotions and authenticity, there are some implications that would come from upholding every word of that latter that I'm not sure, in the long run, any of us would be totally comfortable with. I know I wouldn't.

And the danger of the automatic "retweet" and "like" on a letter like that is that you just gloss over those implications. We really shouldn't do that. The depth of her pain should, of course, take up most of our introspection on the matter. But not all of it.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And after you succeed, we'll check back when he murders someone after he gets out. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted