1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Sportswriters on TV -- now in reruns

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oscar Gamble, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Comcast SportsNet Chicago is rerunning the old original TV shows starring Bill Gleason, Bill Jauss, Rick Telander and Ben Bentley.

An episode is running right now.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . from which Loopy and the Dwarf could take lessons in communicating, rather than pontificating.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

WHY???

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's pretty cool actually. It's a mix of the conversion plus "Pop Up Video," such as putting up the current price of Bears tickets when they're all bitching that it now costs $29 a head to go to a game (this was in 1991). Also, it's funny watching a relatively young Rick Telander and realizing that if the show came back, he'd probably be in the Jauss role.

Speaking of which, Jauss' kid (if you can call someone his age a "kid") is Dave Jauss, the Mets' bench coach: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/tag/_/name/bill-jauss

(Note to ESPN: Dave Jauss was talking about Joe Mooshil, another Sportswriters on TV regular, not Joe "Musso.")

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Easy . . . we're fortunate the archives still exist, to demonstrate to punks and yahoos how civil
    top-drawer sports conversation can be conducted in a public forum, rather than indulging in little else than yelling and agenda-advancing.

Always glad to help.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The greatest sports-talk format show ever done in any electronic media.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Damn good answer Ben. Damn good answer.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It was one of the first shows I watched regularly when we got cable -- those guys were nothing like my family, but it's what I envisioned an old-school midwestern family being like. I wish our area CSN was showing it.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Bill Gleason is a dead ringer for every one of my wife's uncles, except they don't smoke cigars.

Draft saved Draft deleted