1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Sports Editor - Episode 1

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 30, 2008.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

OK, let me break it to you ... all of this was just made up for the most part, which seemed obvious (to me, at least.) You guys talking about handling the TBS calls. Did you notice the sound of the caller's voice? It's just a joke for the most part, people! And, no, I don't work there.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Really? I was pretty sure it was Charlie Brown's teacher calling.

3. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I thought it was cute, and it shows the personality of some of the people in the department to the fanbois who don't think of them as human beings most of the time.

Cheesy as all get out, but eh... whatever.

4. apseloser

apseloser Member

Gives me a better understanding of why that sports section is the Sunshine State's worst.

5. JHath

JHath Member

I was wondering when "The Sports Editor" would hit this site. We've had it on the Web site for about three weeks, and it has drawn a considerable number of hits. And I expected these exact responses on SportsJournalists.com, albeit sooner.

The reason we did the video is simple: We wanted to try something different, something that would show readers what we do but, obviously, in a satirical way. I find it humorous that people are breaking down the nuances of the video. Yes, Chet could have called the Jaguars writers, but how exciting would a five-minute phone conversation be on video? We tried to make it as entertaining as possible. And, for the most part, the readers have liked it.

As for the time invested, my part took about 15 to 20 minutes out of my day. No big deal. Yes, I'm insanely busy most times, but I think 15 or 20 minutes is a good investment if the video works and draws readers to the site.

We could sit here all night and debate whether this is a good or bad idea (and whether we're Florida's worst sports section, which I seriously doubt, apseloser), but the fact is we all need to try something different because the things we've always done aren't working now. But stay tuned for Episode 2, which we shot two weeks ago and should be posted in the next week or so. It's about prep football night and missed deadlines, which should interest you all. And some bits were shot live on a Friday.

Enjoy.

Justin Hathaway
    Assistant Sports Editor
    Florida Times-Union

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Thanks Justin. I'd prefer it to be unscripted. It would cut down on the cheese factor.

And the next segment should be called "The Sports Editor - Episode II: The Copy Editors Strike Back."

7. apseloser

apseloser Member

My bad. I meant "worst Florida newspaper with a circulation over 75,000."

I dare anyone to even suggest there's another candidate.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

But how is this news? Silly online webisodes, scripted ... is that what the industry needs? As I've said before, the industry needs to produce viable content that advertisers want to follow, not run goofy videos.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

On the other hand, what does it hurt? Surely not the print product.

10. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Shouldn't that be Episode V though?

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, Episode II should be "The Phone Wars". The editor handles calls from outraged youth soccer parents wondering why their U-8 girls rec league game didn't get the same coverage as Sunday's Jaguars game. The parents take it all the way to the publisher -- because, you know, they get their haircut at the same place and he'll listen to them -- thus threatening the delicate peace of the Times-Union newsroom.

12. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

This would require the sports editor of a 80K+ circ paper to actually be in the office after 6 on a Friday night.

Draft saved Draft deleted