1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Sports Editor - Episode 1

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Did I miss a thread about this?

Cameras follow Chet Fussman around to show readers (viewers) what his typical* day is like ...

http://www.ultimatejaguars.com/multimedia/sportseditor.shtml

* - Of course, most of it is scripted.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

This edition is a much tamer version of what life was like for an SE at the T-U say 30 years ago. That place made Animal House look sane.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why do they have the sports editor videos on a fan site called ultimatejaguars.com?

The newspaper should have thought about doing that itself.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I quit watching after the goofy intro and him spinning around to answer the call from Charlie Brown's teacher about the Braves being on TBS.

Are they going to show him going postal at 11:40 with two stringers still not reporting in, one calling to say the stadium is closed and the MLB playoff game going into extra innings?

I may have to check back to see.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's a partnership.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I couldn't watch more than a minute of a sports editor answering a phone and talking to his assistant.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's not reality journalism unless someone is getting reamed.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I definitely would have googled the Braves and TBS and given the caller the numbers to call and bug them. They are the ones who made the change. I think they should get to enjoy the call, too.

I do that all the time. But I guess sports editors can't be expected to know how to operate the internets.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

If Chet had let that call roll over to voice mail, he wouldn't have had to worry about dealing with stupid.

;)

Giving them TBS' number is excellent, though.

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

the guy drives out to training camp to get the story angles of his reporters because his e-mail is down?

He ever hear of a phone?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The T-U probably pays 22 cents a mile for travel. Who doesn't want a piece of that?

12. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Seven minutes of my life that I'll never get back. Pretty stupid. You'd think he'd be too busy to waste time on stuff like this.

And not to inject reality into something far removed from it, but couldn't he have just called his Jags writers to find out what they were writing about?

Draft saved Draft deleted