1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Sporting News 2009 Baseball Awards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oscar Gamble, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

Position matters. Defense matters. McCutchen should win it. I'd also like to think future performance *should* matter, which would further put McCutchen ahead of CC.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Utter stupidity. Future performance, NostraCheese?

While Coghlan was spending the month in the majors that kept his BA at .321, instead of .350, McCutchen had his pacifier in AAA.

Can't just let McCutchen with inferior numbers to begin with, get away with missing a month of the season Coghlan didn't.

3. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

Coghlan isn't better than McCutchen. He *likely* won't be better than McCutchen in five years.

Dude had a .366 BABIP. That's unsustainable unless he has reinvented how a baseball player hits the baseball or has Jedi mindpowers.

That month McCutchen spent in AAA is his only drawback; he was the better player during his entire time in the bigs. And, I'll say it again: Defense and positional scarcity have to matter. They just do.

Though, Todd Hollandsworth and Bob Hamelin agree with you.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Defense and positional scarcity should be a factor, but future performance? No, absolutely not. First of all, you are asking the voters to make educated guesses. We don't know for sure what Coghlan or McCutchen will do over the course of their careers. More importantly, this is the Rookie of the Year Award, not the rookie with the most upside award.

If you want to argue that McCutchen was better in 2009, go for it. There is an argument to be made. But what we think each of those guys in the future has no bearing on the award, nor should it.

5. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

That's your opinion. I think it has to account for *some* of the voter's reasoning. I'm not saying we should be giving the award based purely on it (otherwise both Uptons would/should have won the award). But in cases where Coghlan and McCutchen are close -- and don't mind SC's arbitrary stat selection; they are very close -- I would personally vote for the guy with more potential. And perhaps in years when SC doesn't have a dog in the race, he'd do the same.

6. outofplace

I don't have a dog in the race, and I think that goes completely against what you the award is given for -- the player's performance as a rookie. I guess you think the Cy Young and MVP awards should factor in career achievement as well?

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Only hope that the writers follow the players in the NL Cy Young voting. Lincecum was dominant with too little help.

8. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

didn't know The Sporting News still published.

9. outofplace

[​IMG]

Of course it is. How could you miss this? (No, I do not have any shame. Why do you ask?)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Apparently, McCutchen was named MLB's top rookie by Baseball America. How convenient. :)

(If any publication factors in future upside -- right or wrong -- it's obviously the folks at BA)

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_649905.html

Draft saved Draft deleted