1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Spike Lee School of Sportswriting?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by franticscribe, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Bullshit! The black writers will intuitively know how, and relate to the player much better than the status quo - which is to villify the Blackman and make him out as a whinny rich arrogant punk - at the same time - giving the white players a pass.

Black writers have been long overdue.

Bout damn time.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Damn, the Lakers used to have their hands full when the Mavs' backcourt was Rolando Blackman and Derek Harper.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Good for him. But the greater societal good will be better served by the fact that the school will train all kinds of journalists, not just sports.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

If they do well on the English portion of those socioeconomically biased tests, they will dominate and the profession will lurch forward.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Low-paying career?

Perhaps in the sticks.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Ahhhh.... and there's the rub.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I'd like to see that in numbers of people.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Took the words right out of my mouth.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Nope, he just enrolled. By the way, WWL.com just posted a short column by the loving scoopful on the flap about Wallace's headband. It contains this passage

"But why Wallace pictured in the team's media guide wearing a headband? Why has the organization created marketing material that allowed the players to wear headbands?

Why is there this standard double?"

Time for remedial English, Mr. Jackson.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

To say that sportswriters are going away is completely wrong. Is the fat getting trimmed? Yes. Notice all the cuts are for national writers and such. But beat writers will always be needed because fans will always crave information about Jimmy Jump Shot's fifth DUI.

Are people reading the paper less? Yes. Know why? Because they're reading it online. It doesn't make our job any less significant. Papers just have to adjust to the change.

11. awriter

awriter Active Member

The basic principles of how to write a story wouldn't change much. But those writers might bring a different perspective.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

awriter,

What perspective would that be? I'm not being ignorant, but honest. The sports media is predominantly white, and, personally, I think it does a pretty damn good job of illuminating what it's like to be a black athlete.

That's not to suggest there aren't stories about black Americans that need to be told by black Americans. I'm saying journalism has its limits, and within those, I don't think the black athlete has been particularly shortchanged.

Draft saved Draft deleted