1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Spike Lee School of Sportswriting?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by franticscribe, Nov 28, 2006.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I saw this link on Romenesko today. Spike says there aren't enough black sportswriters. So he's trying to do something about it.

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_21251598.shtml

Updated: Including an E&P link about it.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/departments/newsroom/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003438908

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Good for him. Good to see someone taking some action for a worthwhile cause.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know. I hear it's easier to make it in the NBA than in sports writing.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Well-played, Ace.

5. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Good for him. It's a start. It will take a long time before the idea that you can be involved in the NBA and NFL without being a player in said leagues becomes pervasive in inner-city schools, but someone has to get that ball rolling.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If you really wanted to make an impact on the representation of black athletes, why wouldn't you put the money toward a sports management program, something that puts more African-Americans in decision-making and executive roles?

Not criticizing Spike's gesture at all--anything that offers opportunity to those who need it is a worthy venture--but if you really want to make changes, you put people where they can do the most good.

I understand the complaint--a predominantly white (male and jaded) pressbox can't accurately or fairly represent the predominantly black sports culture. But to me, that's the same as saying women can't really cover pro sports, because they never played the game.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I'm not even getting started on this one . . . : )

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Professor Scoop Jackson?

9. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Yeah, I don't agree with that part necessarily. But I do think that black youth, who love sports, need to understand that they can pursue careers in sports without being Kobe Bryant.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You make an excellent point there.

I'd like to hear the board's theories on how sportswriting would change if, say, 20 or 30 percent of sportswriters were black.

11. Money where his mouth is.
    Good for Spike.
    He's still wrong about Larry Bird, though.

12. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

This is just what the African American population needs. Another low-paying career with high expectations and litte reward. How long will it take for the NAACP to file complaints about how unfair wages and work conditions are? It's great Spike wants more black sportswriters, but perhaps finding a way to create more black doctors and scientists would be more worthwhile.

Draft saved Draft deleted