1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The South's Gonna Do It Again

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's the 60's all over. Raleigh School considering segregated schools. Riots ensue.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100720/ap_on_re_us/us_busing_fuss

2. CR19

CR19 Member

We need Jesse Jackson to make an appearance and take care of everything. He can even take care of the rioting protesters.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's the 60's 1974 in Boston all over.

Fixed.

And public schools in the South (and elsewhere) are already segregated. It's called white flight.

4. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

You mean he's done freeing LeBron from the Evil Slavemaster Gilbert?

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Bear craps in woods. Film at 11.

Boom, this is nothing new. That doesn't mean it should ever be acceptable, but it's not otherwise terribly newsworthy, especially in the South.

Why do you think the private school system offers so many options in South Carolina? It's not acceptable there, either, but all I'm saying is that North Carolina is not alone.

And if you think this issue is limited to the South, you're kidding yourself. It's merely more prevalent in the South.

6. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Here's the most dismaying graf in the story, I think:
    "The Wake County School Board has voted multiple times over the last several months to scrap the district's diversity policy, which distributed students based on socioeconomics and for years had been a model for other districts looking to balance diversity in schools. Several school board members elected last year have built a majority in favor of focusing on neighborhood schools."

I was heading into the ninth grade when Charlotte adopted a court-ordered busing plan. In the short run, chaos ensued, complete with a boycott and riots. By the time I graduated high school, though, I think very many of us had come to the conclusion that there was a lot of value in schools that represented every segment of society. It was a valuable experience, and the plan quickly ended differences in curriculum between "black" "white" and "upper class white" schools that had developed over the years.
    The busing plan in Charlotte was blown up years ago, and the schools there now pretty much suck, for lots of reasons. Raleigh seems to be heading down the same path.

7. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

Segregation? This guy says yes.
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted