1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Soup!" on E! might be in jeopardy!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, May 4, 2009.

1. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Wonderful!

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

E! Expects Joel McHale To Stay On ‘Soup’
    May 4, 2009

Now that NBC has picked up the half hour comedy Community, people have been asking what will happen to E!’s The Soup. The Soup is a weekly clip show hosted by Joel McHale, who also has a role in the NBC show. As I reported in February, E! said the NBC pilot would not keep McHale from hosting its pop-culture skewering show

“Joel is fully committed to continuing as host of The Soup,” a network spokesperson said at the time. “We support his work on other projects.”

With the pilot now going to series, E! and McHale are reaffirming that statement. The Comcast-owned cable network and the comedian’s publicist says he will do double duty on both shows.

“Joel will still continue to produce and host The Soup while starring in Community.” said Lewis Kay, who represents McHale.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/blog/BC_Beat/12945-E_Expects_Joel_McHale_To_Stay_On_Soup_.php

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Woo hoo!

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

For this guy, The Soup is must see TV. It is a hilarious 22 minutes of television.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What's Greg Kinnear doing these days? Best Soup host ever.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Chevy Chase casting is just comic death - the premise of the show, "students at a community college" has potential but Chevy is just a no go.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Oh, god, I hope that's not the case (though now it seems it won't be). The Soup is honestly the only show on TV right now I make it a point to watch, and McHale's a big part of that.

As an aside, I read the linked L.A. Times story, and I saw an example of how devoid of creativity the networks can be: They are producing a TV series on the movie "Parenthood." Didn't they do that sometime back in the 1990s (Ed Begley Jr. was in the Steve Martin role), and wasn't it canceled after a brief midseason run?

So, in a nutshell, now they're redoing series that failed. Guess we can expect a new "Pink Lady and Jeff" or "Supertrain" in coming years.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The little preview of the show on the page seems to confirm that yes, Chase is still a cancer.

9. I didn't realize he was still alive.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

You couldn't blame McHale for going for the brass ring, but realistically he's way more culturally relevant on "The Soup" than he's ever going to be on that dead-in-the-water sitcom. Glad he's staying with it.

I challenge anyone to come up with someone who has taken a steeper fall from funny to unfunny than Chase. He was the funniest, coolest guy alive at one point, and now I just wince every time I see him. If his recent turn on "Chuck" is any indication, there's just nothing left there.

11. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I'm glad Joel's staying. If he ever does leave, please, Aisha Tyler ... come back.

[​IMG]

12. Petrie

Petrie Guest

:eek:

:D

Draft saved Draft deleted