1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The solution to the Somali pirates ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

My one time potential future brother in law is an ex British Navy commando who did anti-pirate security for certain lines of ships.

The feeling I got from him was that there a lot of ships that have fought off pirates thru means that are not exactly passive.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

It seems to me, if you had 24 guys you could cover most ships with three, eight-man watches. You put two fore, two aft and four amidship, which I think is the most vulnerable. With the design of most of those ships, it would be too difficult to board the fantail. I don't think they're going to get in front of it with their small boats. I doubt they try to board during daylight hours. That would be too easy to spot. Your force has to be outfitted with night vision. When one of the lookouts spots something, you sound GQ and get the entire security detachment topside. Open up, no questions asked, on anyone that isn't part of your group or ship's company.

Legality, screw legality. You're in international waters. Obviously you'd have to make concessions and stow your gear when you start nearing port, but by then, you're out of pirate waters and it's not an issue.

As for the risk/reward issue with the shipping companies, I can see them not thinking it's worth it.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You can't stop the pirates easily because it's a fucking big ocean.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The expense and risk/reward thing really is the main issue, I believe. Two dozen well-trained mercenaries can easily defend a cargo ship, or take it back if the pirates board. Hell, half that number could probably do it pretty easily, especially with the help of 30 or so crewmen who are trained in basic anti-piracy and close quarter tactics.
    Well-trained mercenaries, however, do not come cheap.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Knows how to handle this.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

This guy has a better idea...

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

They aren't out prowling the open Indian Ocean. With the small boats the pirates use, they have to be within a 100 miles or so probably of the Somali coast. My guess is their prime waters are at the tip of the country in the Gulf of Aden right as the ships are transiting in and out of the Red Sea. Oceans are big. Shipping lanes are not, by comparison.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

The pirates have evolved so that a lot of them now operate out of mother ships in the open ocean. There was a couple on a yacht who were taken not that far from Madagascar. Their reach has really extended and they are far beyond only shipping lanes.

Draft saved Draft deleted