1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Social Network

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Alma, Oct 1, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The failure to knock.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Overrated movie.

My problem with it was Jesse Eisenberg's one-note performance resulted in a one-note movie. I also would have appreciated more story-telling, less arguing. I realize it's not supposed to be a "history of how Facebook came about" but I wish that it was.

Sorkin's dialogue was Mamet-lite, and that's not a complement (as I love Mamet!).

Finally, I don't want to give a spoiler, but a major plot point question was left unanswered due to non-disclosures, and as a result the movie was left hanging for me.

I'd like to see Frontline do a 2-hour special edition on Facebook. That would be interesting.

As for the positives, I enjoyed the look inside Harvard's way of life. A couple of scenes (including the Larry Summers scene) were great.

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Jeff Jarvis is not a fan:
    http://www.buzzmachine.com/2010/09/28/the-antisocial-movie/

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

*** WARNING: SPOILER-ISH STUFF ***

It felt great to get my money's worth at the box office. Solid, entertaining film. Best Picture? Not for me. Nomination? With 10 films, sure. But not Best Picture. Just extremely solid.

Mr. Lugs and I took away two different messages, and the more I think about it, the more I like his better.

I thought it was a film about the ironies (yes, ironies, I believe I'm using the work correctly) of friendship.

Mr. Lugs thought the theme was that the truly "original idea" conceived by one individual, doesn't really exist. "That's not how it works," says Mr. Lugs.

The performance I enjoyed the most was Garfield's Eduardo, and I found myself Googling about the real Eduardo. The guy who played the twins, along with Fincher's Benjamin-Button-esque filmmaking on that front, was magnificent. Loved it. The only performance I didn't buy was Timberlake as Parker. It was just aiight.

After the first scene, I braced myself for Sorkinese throughout, but it wasn't.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I was just driving back to the office from Best Buy, and Pat O'Brien said on the radio it's the best movie he's seen since 'Silence of the Lambs.'

So you know it's good.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Well, if Jarvis hates it, that means I must have to love it.

And I read his "critique" and found it wanting, much like everything else Jarvis does. While I haven't seen the movie, it is a semi-fictionalized account on the origins of Facebook and to criticize it for "making shit up" seems to profoundly miss the point of movie making.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Until Mary Hart speaks, my seal of approval is withheld.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I saw AP had a long story about this being a fictional or partly fictional or whatever account of Zuckerberg/facebook.

I wonder how much of this hand-wringing about it not being all true is from facebook money/pressure.

I do think that -- in general -- if you are doing a book or movie about a famous person, the better liked they are the more backlash there is about taking liberties with the truth.

I don't expect a whole lot of backlash from the public if Zuckerberg comes off like an ass.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Did he mention, in true POB fashion, that once while babysitting a 4-year-old Zuckerberg he had his good friend Anthony Hopkins drop by in full Silence of the Lambs outfit mode to scare the little tyke, thus putting the child on an anti-social path to billionaire status?

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Just got back from the movie - which I enjoyed.
    Went a 7:30 show and the theatre was filled with a 40-plus crowd. There were a few groups of teens/tweens, but some fo them left during the show, which i wasn't shocked about. I feel like kids 13-15 years old are going to think this is a cool movie about Facebook and since they love Facebook, they'll love the movie. Don't think that's the case.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It was interesting to read a story in the Times (ran last week) that said there seems to be a generational divide with how people view the movie. Older folks (pretty much everyone on this board) mostly enjoy it, and see Zuck as a dick who couldn't interact with people in the real world. Younger kids (pretty much everyone younger than those on this board) see Zuck as a genius who was creative enough to come up with something so woven into the fabric of their lives, it's silly to talk about who he may have stepped on or screwed over on the way up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/04/business/media/04carr.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

I enjoyed the film. I agree that Best Picture talk might be a bit much, but I'm fairly convince David Fincher cannot make a bad film, and is probably the most consistent, adaptable director working today.

"Every creation myth needs a devil" is a great line.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yep

Draft saved Draft deleted