1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (VI)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That first England goal today was breathtakingly beautiful (and damned lucky, but still beautiful). I've not seen all the goals from this tournament, but that's got to be a contender for best goal. Right?

2. derwood

derwood Active Member

Mexico has reached semis at U17 tournament. They will play German team that destroyed US earlier.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Mexico had a sick goal vs. England, and Heather O'Reilly's goal was a thing of beauty too.

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

Charlie Adam to Liverpool!!!

Now, Liverpool is good enough to win Championship.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

7. Inky_Wretch

8. Inky_Wretch

I'm not sure if the USWNT could have played a worse first half. It's like I'm watching the men's team out there.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

U.S. is lucky it isn't a man down. Dumb foul, especially considering that the ball was out of Sweden's reach as the player was being pulled down in the box.

Bad bounce on the second goal. Not finishing its opportunities, either. Pia Sundhage has her hands full.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Never thought I'd see the day where USMNT would finish higher in the CONCACAF tournament than the USWNT and do better in World Cup group play.

The lack of creativity with the USWNT is stunning. How many times today was a player in a 1 v 1 situation and would either fall down, send a pointless long ball or do nothing. Megan Rampinoe is about the only creative player I've noticed so far, and she wasn't very good today. Marta and the Brazilians have to be drooling right now.

Amy LePeilbe had the worst day for an American soccer player since Jeff Agoos against Poland in the 2002 World Cup.

12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Yeah, a few better than average chances early that they couldn't finish (maybe a men's and women's problem now?) and then seemed to sleepwalk through the rest of the match. The last 10 minutes there was no desperation at all. Barely even possessed the ball the last five. Not really the showing of a team that cared. Maybe they wanted Brazil?

Draft saved Draft deleted