1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (VI)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 28, 2011.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Cahill to RBNY. That's a nice pickup.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

A 32-year-old experienced international and consistent performer in the Premier League for just 1 million pounds? That's a damn good deal. I wonder if MLS will knock a bit off Donovan's price in return.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

They're not the only ones. The administrator for Portsmouth has said that if the remaining high wage earners don't agree to take a hit, the club will be liquidated Aug. 10.

A bunch of fans tried to hand letters to five of them the other day. Three accepted. One accepted after initially driving because he thought they were media. The fifth, Tal Ben Haim, who's on £36K a week, drove right on past. I really don't think he realizes that if they liquidate the club, he gets shit.

5. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Nick Green of the LA Daily News (rightly) rips on the Galaxy for pulling bait-and-switch with fans going to the Tottenham match expecting to see Golden Balls and Landycakes.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_21142715/nick-green-soccer-galaxy-adding-insult-invisibility

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Tom and Colin Hanks were in a suite three over from the one I was in at the Timbers- Austin Villa friendly tonight. I guess he's a die-hard Villa fan.

I did not run into him in the hallway outside ( did cross paths with Colin briefly) but by all accounts he was a gracious and friendly visitor. He was introduced on the field before the game, took time to pose for photos and sign some autographs, and I can attest he and Colin watched the game intently and were not there just to be seen.

Villa won 5-4 on PKs after a 2-2 standoff. Good game. Bent did not play, Albrighton wasn't on the travel roster and Guzan started in goal instead of Given.

He and his son are also quite tall, probably between 6-1 and 6-3. Not sure why that surprised me, but it did.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Fucking Villa.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I was surprised by the large number of fans wearing Villa jerseys. And the team wore its home unis, too.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I can't help thinking that this is rather like inviting an arsonist over to help put out a fire at your house.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/25/harry-redknapp-portsmouth-finances-help

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Whatever you saw was the polar opposite of what I saw in Columbus Crew-Stoke last night.

[​IMG]

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

US women come back from 2-0 down to defeat France 4-2 in Olympic opener. Only saw highlights, but it looked like a good game.

On a side note, NBCSN has two guys on screen I have never seen before analyzing the match. They could not look and sound like bigger douchebags if they tried.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Nice win for the MLS All Stars tonight, 3-2, on Chelsea.

Loved the "Terry's A Nice Guy, Said Nobody Ever" banner.

Draft saved Draft deleted