1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 9)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Jul 18, 2018.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

This -- allegedly -- is intentional.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It’s obviously trending on Mexican Twitter, but I couldn’t find an explanation for it anywhere. Might be the rollout for a new silly ad campaign.

3. TrooperBari

Sounds like a Grupo Modelo campaign promoting "responsible consumption". Not sure ad campaigns are the best venue for such subtlety, but being a teetotaller I might not be the best one to judge.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Rooney to Derby County? Seriously?

5. TrooperBari

One would hope more thought is going into this than "OJT worked with Lampard, it can work with Rooney", but one can't be too sure these days.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Seriously.

7. Twirling Time

Good, they can make the Championship playoffs and crash out again, only this time with Rooney. It’s the Derby way.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

OTOH, what if this is anywhere close to true?

The presentation states the women’s team players was paid far more than those on the men’s team last year, earning $275,478 in average cash compensation per player, compared with $57,283 for the men’s team.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You can't judge year to year. Men's World Cup generates $400 mill player payout fund - Womens' is $30 mil. Even teams that don't qualify for the WC (like the US) get a cut. Go cycle by cycle and see how it looks.

11. Twirling Time

How many men’s soccer players got on a Wheaties box compared to the women?

(And don’t tell me Bruce Jenner counts as both, smart assets.)

12. Twirling Time

The answer is misleading: 5-4 men, but all 5 men appear to be Liga MX stars while all 4 women were from the USWNT: Chastain, Hamm, Akers and Scurry. I expect this year’s group to flip the margin.

Draft saved Draft deleted