1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 9)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Jul 18, 2018.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Maybe on pure athleticism, but I think in terms of tactics and experience, they'd get wiped. I could absolutely be wrong, but look at what Zlatan did to LAFC. The Championship is really good football, and MLS is still often... not.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Half of the roster will be 34 and over by the next World Cup. There will be plenty of turnover.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Was thinking about the Olympics next summer.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

There are a couple of egos that might be bruised but when you do what they just did, it's hard to argue about those getting minutes, unless injuries pop up or someone's play really takes a nosedive.

5. Webster

That is a lot of fucking money for Harry Maguire.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

More than Liverpool paid for the world's best defender, even after they had to pay a premium for pissing off Southampton.

7. Webster

Crazy. I know the market has shifted and Virgil was so good that he raised the bar on how much a good CB is worth, but I’m not sure that Maguire is that much better than Phil Jones or Smalling.

Liverpool hasn’t bought any Southampton players since Virgil. That’s out of character.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I came here specifically to say "$103M for Harry Maguire!?!" But I see y'all have already covered it. Good job.

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Koubaily is better than Maguire. Probably would have been cheaper, too.

10. Webster

They need to improve the back 4 and a DM more than anything. So it’s worth a shot, but man is that a lot. They need all of their signings to hit, Shaw to improve and hope that Fred and McTominay do the job in the center as Matic is beyond done.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The Rapids match is being affected by the plague. The actual plague.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted