1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 9)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm warily excited for the Orns' trip to the Etihad. For one, Watford played really well against City at Vicarage Road earlier this year. And two, I can't imagine they'll wilt from the moment like they did at Anfield last week. Man City -- outside of the Chelsea game -- hasn't been crushing teams. Huge chance for Watford to make a big-six statement. Would be pleased with a draw, for sure.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Am totally loving the English press portrayal of ManU as the plucky underdogs of the Champions League.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Compared to PSG (and Man City) everyone is.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Every EPL result today, including come-from-behind wins for Southampton and Newcastle, was bad for Burnley. Couldn't have broke worse. I am afeared.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Sterling with a natural hat trick and a massive asterisk after an offsides call was overturned for reasons.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I can’t understand that decision. The defender has no idea that he’s off and would not have touched that ball except for the fact that he was marking Sterling. I think that the rule should be that if the defenders are at all distracted by a player in an offsides position, the flag needs to go up.

8. Spartan Squad

The officials association made a statement that the ruling was wrong and the goal should have been disallowed. I really don't know what the main ref saw.

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

A Birmingham fan rushed onto the field and punched Aston Villa’s Jack Grealish in the head.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It was a poor call, but there was no way Watford were winning yesterday with that lineup Javi trotted out there. I'm fine with him making sure everyone is fit and healthy for Palace next Saturday.

11. Spartan Squad

Two lucky things happened here: The attack wasn't worse (thank God he didn't have a weapon) and security got to the attacker first. They probably would still be mopping his sorry ass up from the field if the players got to him first.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted