1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 9)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Jul 18, 2018.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

This is sweet revenge for Burnley.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

United were just outclassed. They really couldn’t break through in the final 3rd when everyone was healthy. I thought that Martial gave a half effort.

Once the injuries happened it was going to be hard to score, but I question having both Mata and Alexis on the pitch together. Both are so slow.

At the end of the day, it was a brain fart by Matic (who can’t play against that level of quality anymore) and a perfect ball to the best young player in the world.

Pogba needed to be smarter near the end. He was asking for a second yellow.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They'd looked so good for more than a month, but ManU had nothing and plenty of it today. Complete reversal of form.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I took two hours of PTO today so I could come home and watch the FA Cup and damn if Watford didn't fuck around and almost fall behind QPR. Somehow scored on a box scramble off a corner. I'll take the 1-0 lead at half. Probably a crusher for QPR, which had the better chances in the half and really kept Watford from establishing any flow. Anyway, off to pour another bloody mary ...

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

On to the quarters. I'm all for Watford putting everything into trying to win the FA Cup. They're not going to be relegated. They're not finishing top 6. Go for it!

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I picture the EPL as very much like MLB today. You finish top four, great, and if you finish fifth, you have a puncher’s chance of making it through the Europa League and gaining UCL riches. If you finish sixth, tough luck, pal. If you finish seventh, you are the anointed ones who will break through and upset the apple cart next year.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I should have posted this a few days ago, but Spurs performance against Dortmund was outstanding. Their entire performance since Kane and All got hurt has been terrific. As a Spurs fan, I suppose I should now expect them to lose on penalties in Germany after Dortmund wins the second leg 3-0, but for now, I am more than pleased, I am surprised.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm in.

Had one of the best meals of my life a little up the road from Piacenza.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Sarri can’t survive this.

Draft saved Draft deleted