1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 9)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Congrats!

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

ON TO ISTANBUL, JUST BARELY

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

The end of the Derby-Reading match was fantastic. One of the best goals I have seen for a while. Also the first chance I had to check out the new ESPN + service, which was pretty decent.

4. typefitter

Derby came close to promotion last season. If Frank Lampard finishes the job—and Reading could be one of their principal adversaries in the race—it will be a pretty great story.

5. Webster

The EPL transfer window is moved up to this Thursday (although you can still sign players on loan through August 31). Should be a flurry the next couple of days.

6. typefitter

I'm actually starting to think that Liverpool have stacked themselves up enough to win this thing, even though I believe Salah is going to fall off a cliff. They need to give Danny Ings back to Burnley for free to keep the karmic ledgers balanced.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Go Watford!

8. typefitter

For those of you scoring at home, little Burnley now have Nick Pope, Tom Heaton, and Joe Hart under contract. That's three England keepers, good for one Danish or German one.

9. Webster

I don't get why Real Madrid wants to break the bank for Courtois -- Navas to me is a great keeper and the money can be splashed elsewhere

10. typefitter

I think something that's been happening in football lately is a lot of change for change's sake. There's this feeling that if you're not signing new players, you're getting overtaken. Like, people were freaking out about Man City not signing anyone. They are already stacked and earned 100 points last season—just a few months ago! Why should they sign anyone? Why can't the same team do the same thing? Real just won the Champions League yet again. I like Navas as well as I like Courtois. If there's a difference between them, it's marginal. I don't get it, either.

Webster likes this.
  11. Webster

So Serie A is on ESPN (mostly ESPN+) and beIN is still out on my Fios. I may need to invest in ESPN+

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Preseason friendly score of the day ... Bayern Munich 20, FC Rottach-Egern 2.

Draft saved Draft deleted