1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I did a story at Euro about English fans going to Russia—after they were attacked with almost military precision in Marseilles. I didn't find one who was still going to go. That was before the Russian spy stuff.

Even if the English team still goes, I can't imagine many English fans will. I think this World Cup is going to be very weird.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Or a creative way to get #Wengerout.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I got my daughter who lives in France tickets to see France-Denmark in Moscow (the other two Les Bleus games are in cities you'd have to use internal Russian airlines so fuck that). I wonder if it'll even happen.

4. typefitter

Oh, it will happen. But I think it's going to lack some atmosphere and quite possibly be seriously violent. Russia is a hard place in a lot of ways. Moscow and Saint Petersburg are fine, but some of the other cities are really tough. Also, I have to say, a lot of the group stage seems like a foregone conclusion, and there are a lot of bad games likely. The opener is Russia v. Saudi Arabia. That sucks. Uruguay and Egypt should laugh through that group.

I love football, and even I'm not all that excited for this World Cup. Selfishly, I can't help thinking that Russia won the right to host it over England. What a different experience that would have been. I would have based up in London and taken trains everywhere. Perfect.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Salah broke some ankles and put Liverpool up 1-0 in 4th minute over Watford.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

BTE, no reply?

7. typefitter

That was extremely reminiscent of the time Messi ate Boateng's soul.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I think even BTE will agree that if you fly domestic in Russia, you're taking your life into your own hands.

9. Twirling Time

By the way, Man U still alive for some hardware as they move on to the FA Cup semis.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

They looked like an LvG team yesterday. Everyone just seemed to want to pass it to the person that they were supposed to instead of trying to break down an inferior squad.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  11. Twirling Time

Can't pose an explanation for that, but they WERE playing an inferior squad (Brighton & Hove) so I guess they decided to reel it in one time for this tie.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted