1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

As an American, I feel some obligation to root for the US team.

As a soccer fan, I'd be perfectly happy if I never watched this team play again.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

If Neymar was on PSG, doubt Barca makes that comeback. Think many might be overlooking how good PSG can be.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So this happened.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

First TD in the new stadium for Atlanta?

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

It's hard to play a whole game without getting a corner.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

7. Inky_Wretch

Hell of a crowd in Atlanta today.

8. Inky_Wretch

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Liverpool playing defense as well as the Houston Rockets but it's a damn entertaining game.

10. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

Maybe Ruben was right - Atlanta United outdrew the Braves on each of the eight days when both teams played regular-season matches/games in Atlanta this year. On four Saturdays, two Sundays, July 4, and a Wednesday, Atlanta United averaged 47,000+ and the Braves 35,000+, pulled down by half of the dates being in September when the team was playing out the string. I went to two of the soccer matches but didn't think to look for South Carolina plates in the parking lots. The crowds seemed to be a little more upscale than Atlanta baseball crowds and had noticeably more Hispanics, maybe 10-20%, and fewer African-Americans.

As a fan of the league, I hope the team can sustain the high attendance. Orlando's average has dropped to 25,000+ this year, NYCFC's is only 22,000+, and Minnesota's is just over 20,000 in the team's first year.

Soccer probably has outdrawn baseball on head-to-head dates in Seattle too, though I didn't check the individual match/game figures. The average Sounders home attendance so far is 43,000+, while the Mariners have only drawn 26,000+, though the Mariners play many more weeknight games. Every other MLB team draws many more fans than the MLS team it competes with. Cincinnati's USL team averages almost as many fans per home match as the Reds average, though I assume it plays mostly on weekend dates when the Reds' average is higher.

11. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Pretty much every soccer-specific stadium is smaller than its analogous baseball stadium ... Kansas City, for instance, where Sporting KC has sold out every home MLS match since April 2012 is at 18,500 but exceeds that number with SRO just about every game. The lowest average attendance since the 2012 season was 19,400. With a bigger stadium SKC woulnd't beat the Royals of 2014 - now, but certainly would make a run in the non-competitive years.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Ruben Studdard (think his name was similar to the Idol guy) said that here? If so, pretty good prediction. Those are crazy #s for Atl, the Yankees would be happy with that. In GA is it NCAA and NFL with MLB, NBA, MLS all quite a bit behind?

Draft saved Draft deleted