1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

What's the issue with Yedlin? I thought he was electric against T&T and fine last night.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Guzan is fine. Not world class, but not the problem. I actually think he's better than Howard (my unpopular position is that the Belgium game was a series of simple/expected saves) and has been for years.

Waiting for Hamid is a play which has never made it to Broadway.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

There's a long explanation, but I'll cut it short and just say England will never win another World Cup.

Agree about Guzan. Don't get why he's so highly-rated still. (Shay Given was the better keeper while both were at Aston Villa.) The US has younger options like Hamid who can't be any worse and could have upside.

4. Webster

If Hamid were healthy and we had been in a better position, I think he would have gotten some qualifiers

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It's hard to be the man who follows The Man (Tim Howard), granted, and Guzan does suffer from that. How about the guy at Houston? Derick (sp)?

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think I'll just point out that England's No.1. keeper can't find a club starting job right now.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

True. Let's not use England as an example of where the bar should be, goalkeeper-wise.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Didn't mean to. Just to point out goalkeeping problems are not unique to USMNT. Hell, Lloris is a fine goalie, captain of his national team, and he blew a game for France last week with an error that'd cause chain reaction apoplexy on this board if a US keeper did the same.

9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

They are not unique to the US, no. But I think it's a pretty big and almost inexcusable hole. No team is challenging for a World Cup with Brad Guzan in goal. I'd take Hart in a second over him. I'd take Lloris in a half second.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Speaking of Scotland, not quite as good as the Donovan goal seen around the world. But still enjoyable - even though they got a draw instead of a win.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Let's say Pulisic will prove as good as Owen (and I think he will prove better, injuries notwithstanding).

If that happens, then great for the USA, because in his prime MO was a great, great scorer.

12. Webster

Michael Owen scored a goal? Hallelujah!

Draft saved Draft deleted