1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

No St. Totteringham's Day this year.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Hat trick for Ronaldo against Atletico. Not my cup of tea, CR7, but he is undeniably an historic great player.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. Webster

He looks awful to play with, but a fantastic player. I've watched him since his first year with United and it's amazing how he reinvented himself. He went from being a blazing fast winger -- and one who was called a one trick step over pony -- to a great center forward.

One of my most maddening memories of him was after United won the PK shootout against Chelsea in Moscow despite his miss, he wouldn't celebrate with his teammates, I guess because he didn't score. Gary Neville basically dragged him over to pile of players. I'm not sure he's much of a better teammate (although he looked genuinely thrilled with Portugal winning last summer despite his injury).

I think the answer is always Messi over Ronaldo, but in any ordinary era, he's the world's best for 5-6 years.

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Been hoping Zlatan uses his layoff to do some TV work.

"Zlatan will not be 'back in a 'mo'." Zlatan will be back when he is back."

6. Webster

United put all of their eggs in the Europa League basket. It's sad to see how much Rooney has declined.

I'd love it if Spurs kept that team (and the manager) together. That's a hell of a squad.

7. Michael_ Gee

I hope so too, of course, but I think it's economically impossible. Kane will stick around, but Dele Alli has got to be the three Spanish teams' top target, and Lloris is getting to the age where playing in his home country might be appealing.
    Here's a Spurs story for you. My daughter works at a wine exporting firm in Bordeaux, selling top-shelf wines to rich people all over the world. About a month ago, she got a phone order from none other than Levy, who ordered a case of magnums of Chateau Montrose 2009 to be delivered to Pochettino at the manager's office. It was right after Poch gave that interview saying he'd never be able to coach Barcelona. That's a 2K euro present.

Webster likes this.
  8. Webster

I had that wine once at a business dinner in England (not sure of the vintage) -- Levy must really like him!

If Arsenal doesn't make the top 4 (which would likely lead to #Wengerout, no Alexis and at least a bit of a rebuild), isn't there an argument that this Spurs team should be perennial top-4 material? The field is still the top 6 and I don't think that United is nearly there, while Chelsea and (especially) Liverpool are going to have to bulk up their squads and it might not go well. I understand that Levy does great business and you can get Bale money for Dele (especially if one of the 2 Spanish giants gets Mbappe and the other feels they have to counter), but I think that they can win the title and be serious Champions League contenders for a few years.

9. Michael_ Gee

That's a rational analysis, and of course, the Champions League makes a club very big money as well. Pochettino goes out of his way to praise Levy as an owner. Perhaps they have an understanding that vital parts will not be sold off for cash.

10. Inky_Wretch

11. Webster

Juve with the professional Italian job on Monaco today. Even though they had to push up, Monaco were not disciplined at the back and Juve could have easily scored 6 or 7.

12. Inky_Wretch

What the hell kind of celebration is that!?!

Draft saved Draft deleted