1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

It was just a way to show the logic of reaching the number of games. 48 teams play 2 games each, but each of those games represent two teams playing so divide by two. I just wanted to keep a symmetry between the two equations.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

So, if every match has a winner (and they don't differentiate between regulation wins and PK wins), then there is a real chance that either the third game will be irrelevant or all 3 group members will have 3 points. I think that the group stages have to end 6, 3 and 0 or 3, 3 and 3.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I think the goal differential would differentiate between regulation wins and PK wins. I believe PK wins are counted as 0-0 (5-4 PK) so a 1-0 regulation win would beat a PK win in terms of goal differential.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I'm sure if they institute penalties in group play it would adhere to the format in the knockout, i.e. 30 minutes of extra time followed by the PKs.

Without draws, points become irrelevant unless you do it NHL style and award 2 to the PK winner and 1 to the loser. Otherwise you'd just go straight win percentage.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's been explained, but what happens if a group is a perfect triangle? If every team finishes with an identical 1-1 record with identical goal differentials, how will they determine who goes through to the knockout rounds?

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

In USA '94, all four teams in Group E (Italy, Ireland, Norway and Mexico) finished with 1-1-1 records and four points. The first tiebreaker was goals for, which is how Mexico won the group. Norway had the fewest goals for and was eliminated, while the second-place tie between Italy and Ireland was resolved head to head, with Ireland getting that spot, though it worked out fairly well for the Azzurri in the end.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'm not sure at all I have this right, but when I read one explainer, the PK format is only for the second of the two games.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

9. Webster

Waiting for the 35 yard line for offsides

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I'm telling you, the counting-down clock and TV timeouts are coming.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

In Man City vs Tottenham Manchester had a clear breakaway and the runner got shoved in the back and the ref didn't award the penalty kick or give a red card. Tottenham goes down the field and ties the game a minute later. If I'm that coach I would yell at anyone who would listen to me after the game.

12. Webster

That's why players dive. Sterling would have gotten the call if he had exaggerated the contact. Instead, he played through and tried to score even though he was off balance and shot straight at Lloris.

To plagiarize James Richardson, it would have been quite the headline if Jesus would have won the game by scoring on a cross.

Draft saved Draft deleted