1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 7.0)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TrooperBari, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Good start to the season for Jozy Altidore, as he scored both of AZ's goals in a 2-2 draw with Ajax.

Elsewhere, in the rather meaningless Community Shield, City beat Chelsea 3-2.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My son tells me Twitter reporting RVP to Man U for $25 million and Owen to Everton. If so, good moves for both players.

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I hope your son's source isn't https://twitter.com/agent_153.

That Twitter feed is the only place I can find either of those moves. Guy also claims Yann M'vila is going to Spurs and Gaston Ramirez to Liverpool. All in the last 90 minutes.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

That's crazy for a player with one year to go and limited resale price

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

For those inclined to follow the USMNT, what does everyone expect from Wednesday's friendly at Azteca? Should the US expect a result or is a learning experience in Concacaf's toughest environment good enough?

I'd be lying if I said that defense didn't make me nervous, but Howard does always seem at his best when he's forced to stand on his head.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Tim Howard (Everton), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (6): Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Steven Beithasour (San Jose Earthquakes), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim)

MIDFIELDERS (9): DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Jose Torres (Pachuca), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (5): Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Herculez Gomez (Santos), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Alan Gordon (San Jose Earthquakes)

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I love the fact that Klinsmann has wanted to play many regional teams on the road. Panama, Canada and now Mexico. Also have already gone to Guatemala and will go to Jamaica. That means, Klinsmann will have taken his team to (probably) four of the five nations that will join them in the hexagonal.

Wondolowski has been brilliant, obviously, in MLS. Now he has to make the most of his chance with the USMNT and put at least one ball in the net Wednesday. The thing that concerns me the most, however, is that defense. It could be picked apart.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

What's the situation with Timmy Chandler? Has he definitely committed to the USMNT, or no?

8. derwood

derwood Active Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/usa/story/tim-chandler-sends-clear-message-to-jurgen-klinsmann-usmnt-051512

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Thanks for the info...sounds like Chandler is not that interested in playing for the U.S.

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Lots of League Cup matches today (the 14th)...since I am going to be home and bored...are any of these streamed anywhere?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-cup/fixtures

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'd recommend Plymouth-Portsmouth for sheer entertainment value. Portsmouth's starting 11 will be nine players from their "development group," a goalkeeper signed yesterday on non-contract terms because they didn't have one otherwise and their assistant manager.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Franck Ribery and Karim Benzema will face trial in the long-running underaged prostitution ring case:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/aug/14/ribery-benzema-underaged-prostitution-trial

Draft saved Draft deleted