1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 7.0)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TrooperBari, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I really liked this piece on Grantland about Landon.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9511167/landon-donovan-gold-cup/

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

From the CONCACAF statement:

"Mr. Klinsmann was ejected from the technical area for showing dissent towards the referee by throwing the ball in a violent manner during the CONCACAF Gold Cup semifinal match against Honduras on July 24, 2013, in Arlington, Texas, USA."

In a violent manner?? The USMNT has been CONCACAF-ed.

3. kkoczwara

kkoczwara Member

CONCACAF is the worst.

With that said, Klinsmann hasn't (and probably won't ever) be known for his in-game decisions or tactics. This is also a game the USMNT should not lose, even without its manager.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Even with such a brief stay in Munich, I'm sure Martin Vasquez is quite capable of yelling "Faster! Faster!" with a slightly Teutonic accent.

Win one for Der Gipper, boys.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oh Brek, what are you doing stealing Donovan's goal like that?

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Tough match, good win. I hope Stu is OK.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Landon Donovan deserves MVP ... but man, Beasley is really growing into a solid, reliable player. I thought his international career was history. Now he's going to be a starter in next year's World Cup.

8. Webster

The missed sitter by EJ would have been the prettiest goal that we would have scored in years. EJ spent too much time with the ball at his feet, and he needed to get rid of it quickly.

Landon was very good, if not great.

Feel terrible for Holden, even though Mix was the better player this tournament.

I still don't like Beasley in defense.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I really like Shea as an offensive sub. I'd feel comfortable with him in that role in Brazil. He just provides such a dose of athleticism, and he seems to have a knack for the goal, even if he poached that one today.

10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Replay showed Donovan whiffed. Kind of vultured one off Bedoya, but got to finish it in a 1-0 game.

11. Webster

Shea looks slightly out of shape, but he is super skilled.

12. kkoczwara

kkoczwara Member

Shea should be better suited to evolve as a player under Mark Hughes as opposed to Tony Pulis, which is a plus. The negative, he's playing for a Mark hughes side all year and a manager change should happen sometime soon and he will have to fight to be in the side again. A loan deal to a Championship side or a recently promoted team would do him well.

Draft saved Draft deleted