1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 13) — Winter World Cup Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Benzama leaving Real Madrid? I did not expect that.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Another recruit to Saudi Arabia, reportedly. Unlike China, the sustainability-focused reforms and retrenchment in Saudi football clearly didn't stick.
    Sources: Benzema to leave Madrid for Saudi club

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Saudi has enough money in the bank to live off the interest their oil has brought in to live into perpetuity. MBS wipes his arse with Messi contracts.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Benzema also looked like he lost 2 steps this year. I’m guessing that this would have been his last season at RM. With that blood money, maybe he won’t need to blackmail his teammates

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

$200 million for two years? Get it while you can.

6. Inky_Wretch

7. Webster

Zlatan finally retires at 42. He’ll of a player. Hell of an ego.

8. Webster

Kante taking the Saudi bag as well.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think the premise of this article bugged me more than the article itself, which was interesting in its way. The headline is the per usual Athletic bullshit.

How US soccer fans fell out of love with Leeds and their supporters

First? I will try to have it both ways. If you were just following Leeds because they happened to have American players, then you were most decidedly NOT a Leeds supporter. You are the kind of plastic asshole whose loyalties move around with whichever way the U.S. badge blows. The kind of dickhead that lives down to the reputation the worst of the British rockheads perpetuate when they assume we all are like that. I hate fans like that because they make it a pain in the ass not just for Leeds fans, but for American fans of any English club.

So in that sense? I don't think "US soccer fans fell out of love with Leeds United". They were just having a fling with Leeds United. One partly fueled by the NBC narrative-loving hype train that didn't know what to do when it all went sideways.

However, and here's the part where I have it both ways, what Leeds' time in the Premier League did uncover is that there are plenty of Americans like me who have followed Leeds for a long time, or, who fell in love with the culture of the club in the same way I did in the early 90s.

And let me say this too. Following a club like Leeds, or one that isn't among the Big Six, can be considered hipster. And, fans like me who don't follow the Big Six clubs can sometimes be snide about it, much as fans of indie bands can be. Ooh! You follow Liverpool! Must be real hard never finishing out of the top 10.

The harsh truth, for me anyway, is that when I chose Leeds they were one of the big clubs, very rarely out of the top 10, winning the title in 1992 not too long after I got on-board. When I became a Leeds fan, I had no inclination I'd take some rides out of the top flight. I thought it inconceivable. I've stuck with them, and I feel richer for the diversity of experiences the club has given me, but for me or anyone other long-time American Leeds (or fill in relegated club) fan to pretend that we knew we'd have it "tougher" or that we are "better fans because we've had thin to go with thick" is just bullshit justification after the fact.

While I'm riding this stream of consciousness, I do think that, at best, American coverage of English soccer is so vapid (Shocker! American coverage on a national level is vapid in almost everything!) that it relies on lazy tropes like There Are Americans on Leeds = Americans must really love Leeds.

At worst? Many American media outlets are in the bag for Americans and the USMNT. Men In Blazers, the Sirius/XM soccer channel, ESPN etc. They perpetuate the excuse-making culture from some rah-rah corners of the USMNT fan and media base who believe U.S. players and coaches can do no wrong or who act as brainless cheerleaders.

To wit? NBC really pissed me off when it tweeted this earlier this week.

What a load of unvarnished, context-less, high-on bullshit. I could tear this shit to shreds, but I'll just stick with the fact that 1.7 GA is in itself relegation form.

The homerism isn't a surprise, but it's fascinating to view it through the prism of your favorite club, especially if you've followed it for a long time.

My opinion of Leeds' Americans was that Tyler Adams was mostly great, his injury likely was our EPL downfall. Brendan Aaronsen tried, but needs to mainline human growth hormone, because he is way too small and gets knocked off the ball. Weston McKennie was a moody disgrace from start to finish who reached near Gary Sheffield levels of laying down tools and going through the motions. He cried (allegedly) about Leeds not being what he signed up for, failing to realize that if he put in a shift and tried to help the team dig out of its problems, he'd have won the fans over by showing that he cared. Marsch was all hat, no cattle and the Red Bull style is a dead end street.

When Americans can look at American players and judge them based on merit, not nationality, I'll feel like a big step forward has been taken.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    Cosmo likes this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not word for word, but very similar to how I feel as a Watford supporter, without the American influence. I was not on board when Jay Demerit was there. But I certainly didn't think multiple relegations were on the board when the Hornets were finishing top 10 in the PL and reaching an FA Cup final in 2019. Of course, that run seemed to be the tipping point for Watford's downfall. I suppose I have a rooting interest in Brighton now as well seeing as no fewer than four of my favorite Hornets are now playing there.

11. Webster

You mean people become fans of teams for all different reasons, including that players of their country play for them? And some may be more shallow fans than others to the disdain of more hardcore fans? And that the press covers Americans in English soccer more throughly and positively than they probably should?

Spartan Squad and spikechiquet like this.
  12. Inky_Wretch

South Beach Messi better not cause any Argentinians to root for Inter Miami!

Draft saved Draft deleted