1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 12) — Revenge of the Backup GK

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Yes — but all of the potential US stadiums qualify. More about the amenities/payoffs.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Seven of the 11 U.S. sites have turf and will need to bring in grass.

And some fresh construction on the $5 billion SoFi. It's too narrow for World Cup matches.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

So that would disqualify Columbus, unless the matches were at Ohio State. Are international matches played there?

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Not sure of the exact rules, but guessing they want 60k+ and plenty of luxury boxes.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. Every U.S. site is in an NFL stadium with seven having hosted at least one Super Bowl. And at least 65,000 capacity. Though Toronto's stadium only holds 30,000.

Huggy likes this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I’m looking forward to the one at Levi’s. Hope it’s a good draw for that venue but I’ll see anyone. My dad still talks about seeing Brazil at Stanford.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I had read that temporary bleachers would be added at BMO Field similar to what has been done for the Grey Cup and the outdoor game between the Leafs and Red Wings in 2017. Hoping to get to at least one game though I imagine tickets will be very pricey and very scarce, especially if England/Italy/Portugal/Ireland/Scotland (I wish) end up here.

Meanwhile out west:

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Then why not SkyDome, er, Rogers Centre?

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I believe the Toronto stadium is planning to expand to 45,000 seats, per this article. Since Rogers' capacity is 53,000, according to a quick Google search, that's probably close enough to warrant just having it be at the soccer-dedicated facility.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

No chance of real grass at the dome.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They managed to put grass in at the Pontiac Silverdome in 1994, so it can be done. IIRC it was just ridiculously humid in there for the games because they had to pump in moisture to keep the grass alive.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

... avoiding Snowmageddon, Part II.

No wonder I heard a sigh of relief all the way from Costa Rica.

Draft saved Draft deleted