1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 10)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I watched yesterday's Dortmund-Schalke match. It was weird, especially goal celebrations. As much as I tried to give myself stakes by saying I was rooting for Schalke, it just wasn't that simple. Didn't help that Dortmund ran them off the field, either. I think I'll deal with the no-fan thing a little better when Watford is involved since I'm already so invested in that club.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It is so weird being able to hear everything players and coaches are shouting but it is cool to see live soccer again.

Although NBCSN just replayed the 2012 Premier League final day and that was exciting.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Good line on a soccer podcast — the Bayern match did have one spectator, Manuel Neuer.

Huggy likes this.
  4. Spartan Squad

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Union brought a better effort than Bremen.

Webster likes this.
  6. Webster

Fox needed to bring in Raftery for an “Union. Double order!!”

Huggy likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Prem back June 17.

Webster likes this.
  8. Webster

Once they beat Dortmund, it was a formality, but the Bundesliga is 15 minutes from being clinched for Bayern.

9. Spartan Squad

Praise be to Tebow, the Premiere league is back this morning. I enjoyed watching Bundesliga, but the commentators on Fox kind of suck.

MileHigh and Webster like this.
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back, Rebecca Lowe. And love the staggered kickoff times the next week.

Inky_Wretch and Spartan Squad like this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

How did the EPL figure out the cash? Maybe they can give the NBA and MLB some pointers.

12. Webster

Their TV money as a percentage of overall revenue is very high given the rights fees in different countries. They needed to come back to keep all of that cash. Plus there is no huge travel required and no playoffs (much less the 2 month long NBA schedule). And no one player is as important to their team as a Lebron or Giannis, so a positive test or two won’t massively turn the competitive balance.

Draft saved Draft deleted