1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 10)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I think I read somewhere 4th is closer to 20th than 1st. Liverpool can wrap up a CL spot with just two more wins and the league with just eight more (fewer if City drop any points).

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That checks out. Chelsea is 23 points clear of 20th place Norwich and 30 points behind Liverpool.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It’s crazy how bunched up everything is. Some real outsiders can sneak into the top-4 Chelsea doesn’t look good and even Leicester could potentially fall

4. Regan MacNeil

Oh, Watford. How?

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I was working the DC golf show today so I didn't get to see it. Probably a good thing. Gutting loss. Feels like one of the nails in the relegation coffin. Simply cannot let that happen.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

How many more ways will Watford find to kick me in the dick this season? Cripes.

7. Regan MacNeil

They'd be on 29 points right now, just based off blown leads the last two games.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Parking the bus for 45 minutes with a 1-0 lead when you have a Championship level defence isn't the way to get it done, Dewey. Desperately needed that second goal. Maddening.

9. Webster

I love the power play by Messi. There is zero chance that he leaves Barca.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. Webster

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It was a huge soccer weekend in Birmingham. Atlanta United came over for a friendly against the Birmingham Legion. Beautiful sunny winter day, chilly breeze but otherwise perfect. It was a hard sell-out, SRO, with ripples that made parking hard for UAB Basketball Saturday afternoon, as the Legion played at UAB's BBVA Compass field, their home until the new stadium downtown opens. It's a very nice soccer facility.

MLS Preseason 2020: Atlanta United guts out 3-2 win over Birmingham Legion FC

So anyhow, over the weekend after the game, someone initiated Twitter contact between The Birmingham Legion fans and the fans of Birmingham City F.C. in the EFL. Coverage of the game and the Legion fans went viral, and fans of BCFC spotted it and got interested, see article below. Over the weekend, the two clubs have bonded. The English fans are teaching ours their cheers and chants for Birmingham, and in exchange the Alabama fans have swapped stories and lore. Once the English fans found out that the Legion's biggest rivalry is with Memphis, English Birmingham fans started showing up on Twitter, trashing Memphis and its fans in a very English soccer fan sort of way. Some of the tweets over the weekend were hilarious. Now there is talk of BCFC coming over for a friendly, their fans are talking about getting up a group to come over and show our fans how it is done, and a gofundme to make it happen has formed.

Never saw this coming. I'm not a big soccer fan, but this has been a fun weekend to watch.

MLS Preseason 2020: Atlanta United guts out 3-2 win over Birmingham Legion FC

Ok, I'm clueless. What does SOTM mean in a soccer context?

Stuff is still popping up randomly on Twitter and making me laugh.

justgladtobehere and Cosmo like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted