1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 10)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hell of a weekend in Liga MX. One match was abandoned with five minutes left due to fans brawling in the stands. And one team protested not getting paid for six months by letting the opposing team score two uncontested goals (and losing 3-1).

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

In dog goals, Leicester beat Southampton 63-0.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

American Christian Pulisic with a natural hat trick for Chelsea. All three goals were great.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. Spartan Squad

Poor Burnley. Taking it from America both North and South

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Oooooooooof.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I never thought Watford would miss Troy Deeney this much. But I suppose a steady diet of 0-0 and 1-1 draws is better than getting cornholed 8-0 by City. QSF seems to have at least stabilized the back end. On another note, Orns no longer have the most humiliating defeat in the league this season. Thank you Southampton.

7. Spartan Squad

Son hits the post and Kane heads in the rebound and Spurs up 1-0 in less than a minute. Crazy.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

And a hearty Fuck You to the folks in the PL scheduling office.

Man City have faced exactly one (1) Big 6 team: and it was Spurs at home more than two months ago. They also haven't faced Leicester.

Meanwhile, Liverpool have already faced Arsenal, Chelsea, Leicester, Man U and now Spurs. Half of their matches have been against top clubs.

City also close with Southampton, Newcastle, Brighton, Bournemouth, Watford and Norwich.

Liverpool face Chelsea and Arsenal in two of their last three games.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

10. typefitter

It's a weird time to be making that choice, given the state of both sides. Team USA looks horrendous right now. The Dutch look like they're going to qualify for Euro after missing last time around. I don't know.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

As bad as things look for the US, they are probably 85 percent to make the next WC2022 and 100 percent as a host to make WC2026. They was he’s playing, if healthy, he is probably in ink as a starter and he’s been part of the youth setup. The Netherlands look really good but maybe he doesn’t make the 23 for the next Euros and I doubt they guaranteed him a spot.

I really don’t like people playing for us who have never lived here.

12. typefitter

Years ago I profiled a London-born Millwall player named Marc Bircham, who, because his grandfather was born in Winnipeg, was eligible to play for Canada. Before his first game, against Northern Ireland in Belfast, he'd still never been here. (At the time, I believe he was the first player ever capped without having stepped foot in the "home" country.) I did a fun little Canadian trivia thing with him, and I think he got one right. He was a good sport about it, but he was about as Canadian as jai alai.

Draft saved Draft deleted