1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (V)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Fourth one is on him because if you're going to come out that aggressively as a goalie, you have to get the ball. His defense put him in a terrible spot, but he needed to cut his looses after the first dive and miss because he ended up just making the situation worse.

Third goal was a misread of the shot, which is something you can take.

First goal he got himself wrong footed and ended up with far too much weight on his outside leg cause he was thinking far post. The forward read that and went near post.

And the second goal was offside, which is why he was so screaming mad about it. That one I can give him.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The second goal was not offside. Chicharito never touched it.

The first goal was basically one on one. He had zero chance.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Well now our summer 2013 calendar opened up.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Was he offside on the initial cross? The actual goal, he was good.

Other than his shot off the bar, Clint Dempsey was the invisible man. Juan Agudelo did nothing. Freddy Adu may have been the player of the game for the USA. Bradley did some decent things but had two horrible giveaways.

Mexico's depth and creativity dwarfs that of the USA's. They have so many play makers, so many guys who do some dazzling shit on the ball, so many guys who can score goals. Chicharito was one of Mexico's least impressive players, and yet they still win 4-2.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He was a hair offsides on the cross. Not sure if it would have been called, but a smart move not touching the ball.

Adu can have moments of brilliance, but how many times can he dribble aimlessly into the right sideline?

Dempsey was invisible and sulky.

Bradley needed to be great and he drifted too often. Jones was also not there.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Drives me nuts the number of times Dempsey takes himself out of a play with a horrible dive.

The defense looked like the Washington Generals tonight.

Adu was very good again tonight, but it's very frustrating to me that someone could come in from exile and instantly be the architect of so much of the offense.

That Dos Santos shot was outrageous. It would have been nice if someone stopped him before he waltzed through the box, but damn, was that a nice finish.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

1. Blowing dos a cero is what makes me really angry.

2. Yeah, the Dos Santos chip was amazing. But there were six (6!) defenders in the box who failed to close him down. That doesn't even include Howard, who by all rights should be allowed to stab his back-line defenders.

3. The youth program better be churning out some new players soon.

4. The FSC color guy was horrible. He made Jack "Mine eyes have seen the glory" Edwards sound neutral. And worse than homing up on the USA, he often seemed like he was watching a different match.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I don't give a shit if Univision is partisan. It's a much better viewing experience.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I don't get all the love for Howard. He rarely makes a transcendent save, and has come up small a time or two.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

You can't gag away a dos a cero, even if you're playing at Azteca II.

Guessing Bradley will survive all this, but ... whatever. The last 60 minutes were a joke, with a bunch of statues in white who looked like they were playing defense like it was the NBA in the 1980s.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

About his only accomplishment was his distribution to Donovan in extra time against Algeria.

12. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

The third goal was unstoppable. One timed, thing of beauty.

In no way can that be on Howard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.