1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (V)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

"cough - Jack Warner - cough - cough"

sorry had something stuck in my throat. did you say something about crooked assholes in soccer going to jail?

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Thanks Peter Crouch. Oh well.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I fully expect Gomes back in goal against Liverpool, where he'll throw the ball into his own net twice during stoppage as Spurs lose 2-1. Oh, and Crouch will get a red card for sliding the head referee.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

But really, I'm not even sure I want them to beat Liverpool. It might just be better for them to finish sixth and not have to worry about the marathon of the Europa League next season. Then again, that might make it even harder to keep some of their players.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The thing is, whichever one finishes fifth will talk about how exciting it is that they've qualified for European competition ... and then they'll play the reserves in the Europa League.

Although they're starting to abandon even the pretense of pretending that it matters any more. I expect it to be dead within five years.

6. Mystery Meat II

Hard to argue with that. Spurs and City weren't in Europe at all two years ago, and it came down to them for the final CL spot last season. Harry's going to have to work wonders to not only keep his top players, but also fortify the defense and add a quality striker.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Striker has to be a priority. Like many games this season, they dominated at times, but no one could put the ball in the net.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

So Barca officially won La Liga (not that there was any doubt) and Celtic beat Hearts 3-0 away in a must win game. According to the BBC's text feed, at one point a fan ran out to try and attack Neil Lennon but thankfully was dragged away by police before inflicting any physical harm.

Edit: apparently he did actually manage to hit Lennon once before being subdued.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-13368945

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Oh, yeah, he got a punch in...

Lennon is a scumbag, but I'm not a fan of this. He was taunting the fans all game, same as he did at Ibrox. With little security across a very low wall, it's hardly a surprise a fan was able to get to Lennon and land a punch before being dragged away.

A Rangers win on Sunday gives them the league. A Celtic loss gives Rangers the league. A Celtic win and a Rangers draw or loss gives Celtic the league. So, it's all in Rangers hands...

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

AFC Wimbledon are now one game away from a return to the Football League. They'll play Luton in the Conference playoff final after dispatching Fleetwood 8-1 on aggregate in the semifinals. Luton, of course, have a long League tradition of their own. In addition to a long tradition of shithead fans.

11. Mystery Meat II

Guess it would be too much to ask Wimbledon to win League 2 next season, have MK Dons not get promoted in that time and end up with both clubs in League 1 for 2012-13.

12. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

The inevitable finally is made official: Kenny Dalglish named permanent manager of Liverpool.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Kenny-Dalglish-named-permanent-Liverpool-boss-at-Anfield-article734747.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.