1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Part III)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 1, 2008.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Nah. Sepp will borrow The SARS from China and scatter it in a few select spots in SA. No major mayhem, just enough to justify yet another FIFA cash grab.

2. TrooperBari

It'd probably be three from the U.S., Mexico, England and Germany. Brazil probably wouldn't take it if it jeopardized its chances of hosting 2014, and I wonder if Australia could secure enough suitable facilities with Aussie Rules and rugby going on during the World Cup.

Inky: Rooting against SA might not be good karma, but it is understandable. Why wait until 2018 or 2022 to have the chance at hosting a World Cup when one could fall right in your lap? If that happens, you'd best believe I'm out of here lickety-split.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I wonder what would happen with the automatic qualifying place. I can't imagine they'd take it away from South Africa, especially with qualifying already under way. England's probably the only one of those four that's in any doubt at all.

I'd question whether they'd go back to Mexico a third time in 40 years, but if they're bringing the U.S. into the equation, perhaps they would. I can't imagine they'd go back to Germany, even though it was remarkably successful from a fan's perspective. Perhaps a combined British Isles effort, maybe with games in Glasgow, Cardiff and Dublin?

4. TrooperBari

Germany still has the set-up from 2006, so they would need the least amount of preparation to be an emergency host. FIFA knows Mexico can do the job on short notice, too. Of course, being an emergency host probably would rule CONCACAF out of the 2018 bid.

South Africa would get the qualifying spot. The precedent was set in 2003 when China got an auto bid and the U.S. had to qualify.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I have been, somewhat quietly, doing the same.

As much as I would love to travel to another country to watch the US play, having them at home would be so much easier.

My guess on the three locations would be:
    US
    China
    England

China would have the stadium done in no time. The US and England have it in place already.

I don’t see FIFA looking at another African nation. They are unlikely to return to Germany. Mexico and the entire South America doesn’t have the required infrastructure to handle the event.

At the end of the day, FIFA just wants the money.

Of course not. The Olympics are in China, not Los Angeles.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oh, if it falls to the USA, there will be some serious SJ road tripping. I'll expect you to be in our number.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Look a few posts up dude.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Sorry :(

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

No big deal fella. Elsewhere, the First XI for the MLS All-Star game has been announced.

2008 MLS All-Star First XI
    Goalkeeper: Matt Reis (New England Revolution)

Defenders: Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City Wizards), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus Crew), Michael Parkhurst (New England Revolution)

Midfielders: David Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), Cuauhtemoc Blanco (Chicago Fire), Shalrie Joseph (New England Revolution), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew)

Forwards: Kenny Cooper (FC Dallas), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy)

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20080710&content_id=171689&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp&partnerId=_PARTNERId__

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The most shocking thing of all is that there are no RBNY players on the team.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The people at the top of Real Madrid couldn't be more clueless.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/manchester_united/article4286451.ece

Here's the headline: Real Madrid chief claims Manchester United should be happy to sell Cristiano Ronaldo.

And the money quote: "We can't be blamed if nearly every player wants to come to Real Madrid. If I was Manchester United I'd be happy and proud to be able to negotiate such a transfer for one of my players."

It's a complete joke.

Draft saved Draft deleted