1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer thread (Part II)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Rossi has played for the Under-21 for Italy, I believe. As you point out, Webster, I wouldn't go begging, but damn do the Yanks need him.

Adu's move is nice. I like it.

Rangers are now up 1-0 over Zeta. However, a red card has been given to Hutton (2-yellows within 1'). So, with plenty of time left, Rangers are down to 10-men. Beasley isn't currently on the pitch. Boyd comes off now and on comes... (sorry the radio feed didn't seem to actually say who was coming on. Damn Clyde1.)

Saturday, I am very much looking forward to what will become a wonderful day. Rangers open at 7:30AM then I marry a couple of people in the evening. Talk about an all day affair!

Angola, ESPN ticker last night stated that Beckham couldn't play. MLS, actually the local MLS teams, have done a piss poor job promoting Beckham's games. Instead of promoting the Galaxy, they keep promoting the player. Now people are pissed.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Okay, I feel better now.

Nacho Nacho Man!!

2-0 Rangers. I am still not happy, but Novo is the muthuh uckin'

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Pastor, how do you feel about Rangers' chances of beating Celtic for the championship this year?

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Very good, sir!

Rangers put on a display when they defeated Chelsea 2-0. While today's game was rather interesting (in terms of bad decisions) it still resulted in a 2-0 win. Rangers finished last season on a tear losing only twice after Walter Smith took over (both losses occurred during the final weeks when the league was well decided), which included two wins over Celtic.

Celtic's problem is defense. While I think Celtic's midfield has improved, their defense is slow and old. Rangers added speed and skill along with solidifying the defense with a player like Cueller.

The key will be the games against lesser quality opponents. Early on last season Rangers couldn't buy a win against teams like Calendonia while Celtic just rolled those teams.

So, we shall see.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Sounds good for Rangers then! I suppose I'm completely neutral in the Rangers-Celtic battle, but of course I want to see Beasley do well, and hopefully he'll inject some pace into the side.

At any rate, I'd like to see a competitive season for both teams, and not a run-away.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

well the crowd still showed. biggest fc dallas crowd i've ever seen. some interesting calls against fc dallas as well.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Beaker, I agree, a good race is fun to watch.

Angola, thanks for the reminder. I just flipped it over to Telefutura to see Donovan just pull an absolutely class move down the field. Wow.

I'm guessing the yellow is for the throat slashing gesture.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Granted, some may have had their tickets to see Beckham, but it's good to hear that many showed even though he wasn't going to play.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

well for fans tonight's game was awesome. donovan dominated. plus the crowd was insane, complete with throwing shit at the officials after dallas should have gotten a pk. too bad the greatest goal i have ever seen get disallowed. i had never seen a bicycle kick, especially in traffic. very badass.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That was a crazy game. Donovan looked so motivated. Maybe it's exhibitions he doesn't like playing in, because he was absolute class tonight.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

yeah, he was killing. his play on one of the early goals was awesome. caught a ball on his chest straight to his foot, burned the defender and setup the goal. he definitely came to play, whereas ruiz played like shit.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

For those keeping track, here's the updated list of confirmed Americans moving abroad:

Heath Pearce to F.C. Hansa Rostock (Germany) from FC Nordsjælland (Denmark) Free
    DaMarcus Beasley to Rangers (Scotland) from PSV Eindenhoven (Holland) 700k pounds
    Peter Philipakos to FK SIAD Most (Czech Rep.)
    Sal Zizzo to Hannover 96 (Germany) from UCLA (USA) Free
    Fabio Saltos to Atlético Paranaense (Brazil) from (youth) Free
    Chad Bartolome to SR Delemont (Switzerland) from Old Boys Basel (Switzerland)
    Eric Lichaj to Aston Villa (EPL) from UNC (USA) Free
    Freddy Adu to Benfica (Portugal) from RSL (USA) 2M Euros
    DJ Countess to Tigre (Argentina) from Provincal Osorno (Peru) Free
    Guisseppe Rossi to Villareal (Spain) from Manchester United (EPL) 6.7M Pounds

Pastor, Rossi has played for the Azzurini, but he's not locked into Italy or the US until he turns 21 or gets a competitive senior cap.

Draft saved Draft deleted