1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer thread (Part II)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

From yanks-abroad.com, U.S. U-20 attacker Sal Zizzo (who seemed to do pretty well at the U-20 WC) has signed a three year deal w/Hannover in the Bundesliga, joining Cherundolo. http://www.yanks-abroad.com/content.php?mode=news&id=3254

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

According to Skysports, Landon would be open to a move to the Prem in the future.
    http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=478953&CPID=8&clid=&lid=2&title=Donovan+open+to+Prem+move

It would be nice to see him go, but he still seems content to stay with LA and Beckham for now.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

L.A. has a problem next year. In order to keep Landon Donovan on the team, they need to acquire a second DP slot. In order to do so, they would need another team to give that slot up. What does LA have that other teams would want in order to give up the DP? I honestly don't think they have very much.

Now, of course, Garber could just change rules on the fly (which has already been done with the DP this year). It wouldn't be too fair, but it would be interesting.

I can also see Landon playing with Beckham this year and then exploring options in the EPL during the winter transfer period. MLS would receive a purchase price. LA keeps a star attraction in Beckham. Landon goes to Europe like everyone has been pining for. It would be very interesting to see.

Oh and RBNY looked like real shit last night.

4. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

Donovan to expansion San Jose for a few guys they pick up in expansion draft as well as draft picks and money? Wouldn't be a bad way to restart that franchise, with an old hero ...

5. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

Since BigSoccer is down tonight I might as well make my debut on the soccer thread (long time lurker, first time poster and all that).

There is a lot of speculation that MLS may create a "Donovan Rule" to go with its "Beckham Rule." Each team would be allowed to sign one American player (Canadian in TFC's case) player outside of the cap. It's not a bad idea if the economics can support it--which, with the Beckham boost, it might be able to (like the current DP slot, it's likely that only a few of the teams would use the domestic DP slot...).

Or LA might just trade him back to San Jose to kick start Earthquakes 3.0. Whatever, really.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I watched as much of the game last night as I could, and then checked out the highlights today. I thought RBNY were unlucky not to convert at least a couple of their chances, and that was a terrible second goal to give up late. Goalie has to stop it.

Any predictions for tomorrow's Superliga games?

8. TrooperBari

My MFLS team says otherwise. ;D

A goal and an assist helps negate my starting Goldthwaite in defense.

9. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

That's great news for Adu. When the deal was dying a few days ago, I wondered how much Adu wanted to kill his agent.

I mean, kid has pined for Europe forever, a team and league that would be a good fit for his development (not the absolute upper tier). And the contract hit a snag. Kid wants to go, he's a malcontent in MLS until he goes. The moment Benfica matched his MLS salary, the deal should be signed.

Good luck to Freddy Adu.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Troop, since you're a regular there, I wonder if you've seen what an abomination BigSoccer has turned itself into with its redesign.

11. TrooperBari

Don't get me started, Twoby. The redesign was, from what I've seen, completely unnecessary. The site doesn't move any faster, it's uglier and the assumption that people give a shit what someone else thought of a thread (the "Kick" system) is laughable.

This should tell you all you need to know about the BigSoccer management ... they had links on their front page for people to visit while BS was down. All of these links were to other message boards Jesse and his crew operate. Shockingly enough, all of these boards were down, too....

I've been posting there since April of 2001, shortly after the World Cup qualifier against Costa Rica in Kansas City. Expansion, contraction, qualifying, World Cups, the Great Iranian Invasion of Aught-One ... I've seen plenty on those boards, good and bad, and come back for more. Lately, though, I keep finding more and more reasons not to spend as much time there. I can get good, informed discussion here with all the extra noise. If not for a few select forums (Everton, Japan, Korea, etc.) and people I've met in person, I might just bail altogether.

12. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Iraq 1, Saudi Arabia 0. Might want to celebrate this one at home, Iraqi fans, but enjoy it.

Draft saved Draft deleted