1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer thread (Part II)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 24, 2007.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Another shitacular result from CONCACAF

Grenada 2, Costa Rica 2 - Cost Rica was in the last two World Cups.

And Paraguay is leading the South American qualifying campaign. Brazil is fourth.

In Asia, Iraq needs to beat Qatar to advance out of its group. And China is already out of the World Cup.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

U-17 National team player before Dallas drafted him this year, and is now playing for the under-20's. Hasn't started a game yet in MLS, but teams like to jump on young talent. He may have the same thing happen as Adu did when he went on a trial for a couple of weeks.

3. derwood

derwood Active Member

That kid has the size to be a force in Europe.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

English and Scottish fixtures out today. First Big Four meeting is Sept. 13, Liverpool v. Man U. Chelsea v. Man U the following week, return fixture Jan. 10.

5. And the schedule computer says "We're going to try and make it as hard as possible for you to win it again, Sir Alex."

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It also handed him Arsenal at home on the penultimate weekend, though they get Hull away to close it. Chelsea get Sunderland away, Arsenal get Stoke at home.

Arsenal v. Chelsea on the third-to-last weekend.

Speaking of Hull, scheduling my journey to England for November, with Fratton Park a priority, means I get to see Portsmouth v. Hull. I can only assume it will be raining.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

And once again Rangers are getting fucked with...

However, if you are in the NYC/North Jersey area... August 30th. Rangers v. Celtic.

Currently the game is listed at 10am. However, it is likely that it could be changed to the Sunday at 7:30 am.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Ives reported Bradley released some USMNT members from camp leading up to the trip to Barbados.

With an 8-0 lead, he doesn't need Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo), Clint Dempsey (Fulham FC), Steve Cherundulo (Hannover 96), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus Crew), Maurice Edu (Toronto FC), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado Rapids) and Matt Reis (New England Revolution).

Danny Szetela (Brescia Calcio) and Chris Seitz (Real Salt Lake) have been called up, but there are still eight open roster spots.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Good news everyone! The Rowdies are back!

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/jun/18/new-pro-soccer-team-form-tampa/?sports

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The soccer teams I played on as a kid were called the Rowdies. Not sure I ever realized the connection. Or that there necessarily was one.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm pretty sure there was one. The Rowdies were pretty successful during their run in the NASL, and quite a few of the players still roll out occasionally for charity games since they're still in the area.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

The Journal compiles a list of the greatest male athletes in the world and ranks Ronaldinho at No. 9, the highest ranking soccer player. Called him "soccer's reigning star."
    When did they do the research for this, 2006?

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/public/resources/documents/info-GREATEST08.html

Draft saved Draft deleted