1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer thread (Part II)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Norrin - I don't know which stories you read about this game, but during the interview it sure seemed like Donovan wasn't ripping the younger guys for not trying hard just that they needed to learn how to play in games where the opponent packs in the defense and is willing to settle for a draw, which is what happened in the friendly with Guatemala.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I don't think Donovan was explicitly ripping his teammates, but yeah, it would be nice for him to go take another shot at Europe with some of those same younger teammates. But if he really wants to say in California w/his family, can't say I blame him.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Shirts: The people at Subside Sports always took good care of me. If you believe now ex-Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd, shirts cost so much because fans are dumb and they'll pay whatever you ask.

http://www.subsidesports.com/uk/store/index.jsp

----------------

Adu: How about this story, which just floated across the wire:

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Freddy Adu will be playing in Major League Soccer for at least a little while longer.
    Major League Soccer and Benfica reached an agreement on a $2 million transfer fee for the 18-year-old American, but Adu and the Portuguese club could not work out contract terms, a person familiar with the negotiations said Tuesday. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to speak publicly.
    FIFA’s transfer deadline is Aug. 31, meaning a deal still could be resurrected.
    Richard Motzkin, Adu’s agent, declined comment.
    Adu was to play for Real Salt Lake on Tuesday night in an exhibition game against Argentina’s Boca Juniors after missing more than a month with his club while he captained the U.S. team to the quarterfinals of the FIFA Under-20 World Cup. Adu had three goals and four assists as the Americans went 3-1-1 in the tournament.
    RSL director of soccer operations John Ellinger, who has been coaching Adu since he was 12, said although the first round of negotiations fell through, talks with Benfica was not finished.
    “I know Freddy has called his agent and said ’It’s still open. Don’t let this get off the table.’ It’s still a real possibility,” Ellinger said before Tuesday’s game. “As a club, we’re ecstatic to keep him and we’re ecstatic for him if he gets a chance to play overseas. That’s kind of how we feel about it.”
    Adu is his first season with Real Salt Lake, which acquired him from D.C. United last year knowing that he would turn 18 this summer and become eligible under FIFA’s rules to transfer outside his home country.
    Adu has just one goal and two assists in 11 MLS games for RSL, which is a league-worst 1-8-6.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sweet, I'd never come across that site. It's got some good deals, though it'll still cost me nearly $90 to get a Giggs ManU shirt.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Ebay..directly from Thailand. Sure some of them are complete crap, but if you're willing to look hard enough there are some extremely cheap authentic shirts to be had.

I've purchased many shirts from SE Asia and never had a problem. One thing I've also noticed is the speed at which these items are shipped. It's phenomenal. Whereas getting something shipped from Britain is a hip-and-miss proposition (As well as damn expensive).

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I know this was alluded to earlier, but I just saw it tonight on si.com so I thought I'd post it-Eddie Johnson rejected an offer to play for Derby. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/soccer/07/24/wizards.johnson.ap/index.html

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I haven't finished watching the FC Dallas game yet, but I feel like the game must be being played in South America based on how shitty the officiating has been.
    The no call on the hand ball, the guy for FC Dallas getting kicked out for the spock-move on dude's windpipe and then a 3 on 0 break when one of them was offsides.
    Terrible, terrible officiating.

8. TrooperBari

Walter Quesada, Costa Rican ref. Can't say I'm surprised.

9. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Why would he want to be average to above-average in the Premiership, when he can dominate in MLS? The lack of ambition is troubling. But maybe it's just that it's Derby County making the offer.

10. TrooperBari

Of course, there's always the possibility that he's happy being The Man in KC.

11. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

That seems sad to me.

12. TrooperBari

If it's purely out of lack of ambition, that's one thing. What if he's genuinely happy, though?

Same thing with Donovan. People seem to conveniently forget that these players have lives to live outside of their job. If they're in a good situation, both professionally and personally, where they are, why throw all that away just so SoccerFan can live vicariously through them?

Draft saved Draft deleted