1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (IV)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 2, 2009.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Citeh's tried at least once or twice to nab him ... 40 million quid was the last number I heard.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The same could be said for Juan Pablo Angel when he first arrived.

Some people are professionals. Others are pampered babies more interested in stardom than anything else.

The rumors were out there. MLS was in talks.

Had it happened, Osorio would have likely played him as a center half. :-\

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

And look at how great Scheletto has been. Or even Blanco. MLS rejuvenated him. Those guys have diva tendencies, but in the end they're players.
    Becks is a great player, still better than his detractors allow, but he messed this up himself.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Spanish rumour picked up by SBI: Gooch to Real? (Madrid, not Salt Lake)>
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/07/report-real-madrid-eyeing-onyewu.html#more

Weird rumour. Says he's an alternative if Real do not sign Alvaro Arbeloa. As if the two players were somehow interchangeable.

5. TrooperBari

Sounds like typical Madrid ... break the bank on attackers, sign defenders only if you must.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

If any of you get a chance to see him play, go. He's one of the great undervalued masters of the game.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

80k to see CR9 show off his Real Madrid kit today ...

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/06/80000-welcome-cr9-to-madrid/

8. Inky_Wretch

Anton Peterlin is making the jump from USL Premier Development League to English Premier League. Everton is reportedly going to sign the Ventura County Fusion midfielder to a one-year deal.

“Anton really impressed myself and the coaching staff with his attitude and undoubted ability,” Everton manager David Moyes said Monday.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Goddammit, Moyes, no one can impress yourself except you.

10. Inky_Wretch

Gooch to AC Milan, not Real Madrid ...

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/66/united-states/2009/07/07/1368757/breaking-news-milan-sign-oguchi-onyewu-official

11. TrooperBari

So ... yeah.

As of this morning, our paper is now the title sponsor of the local leg of Manchester United's tour.

This is gonna be fun — I can already tell. I've already had to tell a dozen people I can't get them tickets.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Great, great move if he gets in the first XI regularly. I don't see why he wouldn't either, but the opportunity for CL soccer in addition to Serie A should allow him to continue the progress he's shown in the last two years.

Draft saved Draft deleted