1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (IV)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 2, 2009.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Those who live around Fratton Park won't necessarily be looking forward to that particular fixture next year.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And the last League promotion spot goes to Dagenham & Redbridge after they beat Rotherham 3-2 in the League Two playoff final. Finished seventh this year; only got promoted from the Conference in 2007.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Saw a great t-shirt down the shore today -- it was a picture of Cristiano Ronaldo with the caption "Life is Too Short to Track Back"

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Saturday's game in Philly was a
    . Now, for the World Cup (after my trip to Vegas)...

The current make-up of my World Cup party is going to be sick...

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Rafa out at Liverpool.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And quite possibly in at Inter. I was hoping for Capello, but it looks like he's staying with England after the World Cup.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Is this the start of a massive summer selloff? If they can't affors Rafa, who else goes? Torres, Mascherano and Benayoun?

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Probably depends on the new guy, which players he values and how much money he's able to milk out of the board. No manager worth his salt would take the job if he knew he'd be forced to sell Torres or Gerrard. Mascherano and Benayoun are probably expendable, though the latter really isn't.

It's got to be a high-profile hire, though, as I don't think an up-and-coming guy or someone from within the family (Sammy Lee, Souness, etc.) would bring enough clout to keep any wantaway big names. If Martin O'Neill and Roy Hodgson are truthful about staying put, then maybe Martin Jol from Ajax? Sven? Banking on coaches leaving their jobs after the World Cup is way too risky.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Will anybody make a run at Ole Gunnar Solskjær? He's managing United's reserve team and was offered Norway's job. Is he such a lock to replace Sir Alex that no other side will ask about him?

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Not sure if he's a lock to replace Ferguson. A club of that stature (and pressure) would probably want someone with a bit of a track record, lest they end up with Alan Shearer 2.0.

I've heard more talk of David Moyes being Fergie's successor than Solskjaer. Odds are good Solskjaer will go to some middling Championship side and see if he has any success. If he succeeds there, then he can think about Old Trafford.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And speaking of Moyes, any chance the best pound-for-pound manager in Britain moves down the street?

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've assumed Mourinho is killing time at Real Madrid waiting for Sir Alex to retire.

Draft saved Draft deleted