1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (IV)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I was basically fine with the cuts. I'm no huge fan of Ching, and a speed forward like Findlay is OK with me. In the end, I can't get to worked up about the last few roster spots.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

France, with many starters on the field, is currently losing to Costa Rica.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

4. Inky_Wretch

I just pulled the trigger on a new USMNT jersey. I went with the blue. Sans customization, though I considered a Dempsey one.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm of a completely different mindset. Findley has speed but brings nothing else to the table. Ching does a lot more - he can hold the ball and create chances for other forwards, and he can keep possession in the opponent's half. He distributes well on the attack.

I think his skill set is particularly valuable for the US's group - if you're up 1-0 on Algeria or Slovenia, he's a great sub. You send him on to control the ball and draw fouls. He's done it successfully against lower-level CONCACAF teams, which are roughly equivalent to Algeria. And he has the experience of doing it before - we don't know if Buddle or Gomez is up to the task.

Everything Findley can do, Gomez and Buddle can do. Findley brings nothing. I hope he doesn't see a minute of action.

No big surprises elsewhere. Bornstein's inclusion is a function of us lacking depth in central defense and Pearce sucking even worse. Kljestan is blessedly nowhere to be seen.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't need a new jersey, but I was digging on those jackets the guys were wearing during the unveil of the team today.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

You'll look good in blue... :)

I'll be picking up a blue Edu kit on Monday, I hope. I was talking to my guys at The Onion Bag at the bar last night on when the numbers were coming out. They didn't know yet. I'm hoping soon because I want to grab my kit before I fly to Vegas for the Rangers convention next week...

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I've been looking for a new long-sleeve USA t-shirt all over the place.
    I can't believe how lame the gear selections are, especially this close to the World Cup.

9. Inky_Wretch

Were you at the Rover with them? Those guys are always tweeting from there.

10. Inky_Wretch

Because it's summer, I don't think they're trying to sell long-sleeved yet. The only one I found (aside from the Nike Dri-fit stuff) was this ...

http://ussoccerstore.com/us00m153810ba.html

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

No. They are located a few towns over from me and it is a nightmare to get there at times since I need to fight Lincoln Tunnel traffic to get there.

The ESC tailgates/post-games at the aptly named El Pastor in Newark. The one guy came to the US Open Cup game so I was chatting with him afterwards about names and numbers and stuff. He's English so he won't be at my USA/England party, but he'll be at the other viewings my crew will run for the other USA games.

This is true. You should also know that some of the larger stores like WorldSoccerShop and Eurosport sometimes have exclusive items not available elsewhere.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Even though we all know Dempsey should start up top with Altidore, I wonder if part of the logic behind the Buddle/Gomez selections is their familiarity with the team's major (only?) playmaker, Donovan.

The fact that none of us can find a real quibble with the selections highlights the player pool's lack of high-quality depth. About the only place I would feel very confident right now is midfield, and that depends on who shows they can work with with Donovan and Bradley. If Dempsey and Altidore are up front, then we have put our best foot forward, so to speak.

The defense looks like a combination of solid veteran players, injured players, and youngsters I'm not too sure the team can rely on yet. I like a few of the individual players (Bocanegra, Goodsen, Spector), but the key there will obviously be how they work as a unit. Hopefully, Howard will not have to yell a lot.

This will likely be Bradley's only World Cup, no matter the results. Arena (and, yes, English footy wonks, Sven Goran-Eriksson) was a special case. Most coaches only last for one cycle. Unless they're brought back to stem a disaster . . .

Also: Strangely, I'm not sure this Juergen Klinsmann story made it into the daily MLS Newsstand:

http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/sports/article/534582--questions-over-mls-players-caused-klinsmann-to-break-off-us-talks--page0

I hope this year Gulati is ready to give up some power, and thus hire the "FOREIGN COACH!!!!!!" so many fans have clamored for. And then we'll find out if a change in the way U.S. soccer does business is enough to overcome the fact that we have yet to develop a second Landon Donovan.

Draft saved Draft deleted