1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (IV)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 2, 2009.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I don't think it stops MLS clubs going after players with a certain star-power, but it may make them a lot more cautious about whom they consider.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

After the Luis Hernandez and Lothar Matthaus debacles, hopefully this will be the final straw.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

In retrospect, I really don't like the fact that Landon is throwing a current teammate under the bus. Based on the excerpt, Donovan really hasn't confronted Beckham directly about his issues with him, going so far as to text him rather than talk to him.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

There is the very real possibility that when he talked to Grant, Landon figured Becks to be a former teammate. He might have imagined Becks would remain in Europe.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Which is why it's better for him to be at a club where he can be a luxury item rather than having the pressure to be his old self and carry the scoring load at a mid-range Premiership club.

More than anything, he needs to be used sparingly until he shows he can stay healthy for an extended length of time.

6. TrooperBari

The Guardian's ticker is saying Owen to ManYoo is a done deal.

Time to put the genuineness of some people's hero worship to the test.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Real Salt Lake isn't a bad team, but they seem to have a bunch of headcases on their roster.

Terrible sending off tonight by Fabian Espindola, just lashing out at a defender after a hard, but relatively fair, challenge.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Interesting article from ESPN the Magazine about former UCSB player convicted of rape:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=4300383

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Britons shudder over ESPNization of EPL ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/06/business/media/06espn.html?_r=1&ref=soccer

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Rupert and the Mouse in a war of attrition.

I'll be mainlining salsa over this.

11. TrooperBari

My initial reaction was to unleash Dickie V, Schtu and Lou Holtz on them and let the chips fall where they may, but then I remembered I still have a modicum of affection for our former colonial overlords.

Whatever ESPN does, it will do it well. Still, I can't wait for the inevitable backlash from the British masses as they complain about having baseball, basketball and "gridiron" shoved down their throats.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Now there's a John Terry to ManCity rumor!?!

Draft saved Draft deleted