1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (IV)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 2, 2009.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Honestly, I'm not sure he cares anymore.

He probably thinks Beckham is going to opt out of his contract at the end of this season.

2. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I gotta say I like the fact that he didn't mince words. It's just been a bad experience for the MLS and Beckham all around.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Yes, and didn't have to be.
    That's the shame of it.
    I know Llungberg's no Becks, but look how nicely he's fit in at Seattle.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, I'll be interested to see if Donovan carries through with his threat (for lack of a better word) of calling out Beckham when Golden Balls joins LAG.

Part of me thinks he'll back down and say something about being misquoted. I hope I'm wrong.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Your hope, Inky Wretch, will not be in vain.

When he is in a position of strength, Donovan doesn't back down from the things he says. Many LA fans and media are behind him on this one, and he knows that it's pretty certain that, barring a major change, Beckham will not be with the Galaxy past this fall. And Donovan likes stirring the pot, being outspoken.

I just wish the schedule broke differently. They have a pair of road games, the AC Milan game, the MLS All-Star game, etc. before the first home game after Beckham's return, August 15. Would have liked to see how the fans reacted to Beckham immediately.

Also: went to a Galaxy game a few weeks ago, free thanks to a friend. 18th row off the field in the corner . . . $75. Easily double what anyone should be charging for MLS tickets anywhere in the stadium. It will be fun and interesting to see if the Galaxy drop those prices after Beckham leaves.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Michael Owen to . . . Manchester United. Seriously. Not kidding.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Holy crap.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8131801.stm

That would be astounding.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't know what to think of that. Not at all.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Love Michael Owen. He made me fall in love with Liverpool. Glad to see him getting back with the big boys, but would hate to see it hurt my men's chances.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Owen is a walking injury waiting to happen.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I thought Owen would be hoofing it for the New York Red Bulls by now.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The Beckham debacle ought to curtail the creeping NASL-ism in MLS. An over-the-hill prima donna with no real incentive to do shit for the money.

Draft saved Draft deleted