1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Snowpocalypse Pizza Escapade (UPDATE: Pizza 2.0 is on its way)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Feb 6, 2010.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Re: The Snowpocalypse Pizza Escapade

OK, here's the breakdown.

I decided to get started with it about 2:30 or so since I know my folks were planning on doing more cooking after I was done. I went with a recipe I'd found online and got into a little bit of a tiff with my father who was trying to "supervise" (read, all but do it FOR me). He then backed off.

I basically followed the recipe to a T when it came to the dough. It turned out VERY sticky (fortunately, this is where Dad stepped in and helped out a little bit).

It turned out to be a bit bland and somewhat uneven since I didn't roll it out. I added a few cheeses (though not as many as I would have liked) and sprinkled some Italian seasoning and garlic on it to give it a little more kick. I also could have left it in the oven a couple more minutes. That, and Dad described the crust as "a little dough-y".

Considering the fact that it was my first attempt, I'm pleased with it. I liked my own pizza better than DiGiorno's. I've definitely tasted worse than my own pizza, that's for sure.

2. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

Might sound crazy, but the best way to make a homemade pizza is on the grill. There's a good dough recipe from years ago in Playboy out there somewhere on the web. Make the dough, cook it up on the grill (get the grill super-hot first), then take it off, top it with sauce/cheese/toppings and throw it back on the grill for a couple of minutes til the cheese is melted.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

F_T, just want to point out that a 12-inch pizza or 10 wings and a pitcher of beer isn't "gorging."

That's called "having an appetizer."

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I cook on a gas grill 3-4 times a week. In 2 1/2 feet of snow I made steaks and rack of lamb this weekend.

I make Boboli pizzas on the grill. My grill can get over 550 degrees which is great for steak and pizza. Either regular tomato sauce and cheese or any tricked out pizza you can think of.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

f_t, if you're looking for a business opportunity, I know a guy who has an idea for a pizza place where you make your own pie ...

6. forever_town

I thought there were already places like that out there...

7. forever_town

I've decided to make Pizza 2.0 today with the folks out of town.

This time, I'm also making my own pizza sauce. I also used whole wheat flour instead of bread flour, so we'll see if that works any differently.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Do they let you put cucumbers on the pizza?

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Add more water for the WW flour otherwise the dough will be tougher.

Draft saved Draft deleted