1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The SNAP economy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I emailed Saslow for two reasons; 1) to find out about the meat market because it's driving me nuts; and 2) for a breakdown on how the reporting went down. He crushed a story that no one in the state really attacked. It's a shame for all three of the papers that cover the town - ProJo, Woonsocket Call and Valley Breeze.
    Anyway, he sent me a short response. Said he was traveling and would provide a longer one when he got the chance.
    The meat market is called International Meat Market and the sign looks about as you'd expect from the description of the story. So the good news is there is no error, just a business that doesn't have a valid address. I'm almost wondering if they renamed the business to make people think it was connected with the place in Central Falls.
    here's the pic Saslow sent me;

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. So it looks like one of those high-priced grocery stores that's just above a convenience store?

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here's the inside
    http://www.wpri.com/dpp/news/local_news/blackstone/wpri-woonsocket-store-owners-arrested-for-buying-and-reselling-stolen-goods

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The story reminds me of stories I read about life in the old Soviet Union years ago... food shortages, people living well below the poverty line, just struggling to survive from one month to the next.

When I read stories like this, I always wonder what on earth a 21-year-old couple who just graduated high school is doing having two kids? Do people not realize how expensive it is to raise kids and that, if you can't feed yourself, having yet another mouth to feed (not to mention clothing, medical care, etc.) is just one more burden that you probably don't need? I grew up in a middle class family but was cautioned over and over and over about the folly of marrying too young and/or having kids that you're not economically prepared to support. It just amazes me how many people failed to get that memo.

But a pretty well written story on a really shocking situation that I suspect is happening in a lot of places.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

have you ever even been married much less touched a woman?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What makes you think I'm gay?

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

never said you were. just have my doubts that you've ever touched a woman ... without paying for it first.

8. disgruntledgrunt

disgruntledgrunt New Member

Not like he spent $1,300 on Prince tickets or anything, not that there's anything wrong with that.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

hahahahahaha. i spent $653. i WANT $1,300.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Read the first half this afternoon at work. Really enjoying it.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

At work? While on a break?

I may re-read it soon.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. I get long breaks; sometimes 9 hours at a time.

Draft saved Draft deleted